Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A Few Questions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Few Questions?

Hey Guys, I need some advice! The more I read ...the more confused I am getting! I am thinking of starting to pour my own jigs since I go through hundreds of them! I am wanting to pour 1/32 and 1/16 round head with barb jigs. I like a #4 sickle hook in these and not sure if I buy the do-it molds for these sizes if the sickles will fit in them? Could someone give me a little info as to what I am needing?

Also do they make a mold for just a 1/2 oz. egg? The ones I have seen has several different sizes in one mold?

I am about to buy a melting pot also and was just going to get the Lee 10lb pot....is that a good choice?

Sorry for so many questions but I am sure I will be asking a bunch more soon as I have never poured before!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be sorry for the questions that's what we're here for

I am wanting to pour 1/32 and 1/16 round head with barb jigs. I like a #4 sickle hook in these and not sure if I buy the do-it molds for these sizes if the sickles will fit in them? Could someone give me a little info as to what I am needing?

The sickles will work fine I have the mold your talking about as well as the one with no collar. One problem you'll run into with the Sickles is the Quality control. You'll have some where the eyelet to the 90 degree bend is longer than others
    Here's an actual pic of the hooks

I usually just sit and dry fit the hooks so it doesn't slow me down when pouring. As I have a bunch of molds even the longer length ones will fit in another mold.

do they make a mold for just a 1/2 oz. egg? The ones I have seen has several different sizes in one mold?

Egg - Slip Sinker Mold - EG-11-1412 - this is probably going to be the closet one, it makes 11 (6 of 1/4, 5 of 1/2) cast just the 1/2 oz.

I am about to buy a melting pot also and was just going to get the Lee 10lb pot....is that a good choice?

Excellent pot - I've been using them since 1984

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Fatman hit all your questions on the head. Welcome to the pouring side of jig making.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Would this be the right two molds for me to purchase?

The Do-It RHB-8-32 round head production jig mold allows you to make your 1/32 oz. size jig head in bulk quantities. Barbed collar helps hold soft plastics in place. 8 cavities, all 1/32 oz. jig heads. Use aberdeen jig hook size 6.

The Do-It RHB-8-16 round headproduction jig mold allows you to make your 1/16 oz. size jig head in bulkquantities. Barbed collar helps hold soft plastics in place. 8 cavities, all1/16 oz. jig heads. Accepts aberdeen jig hooks, size 2 an 4. Eagle Claw 570,Mustad 32756.
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to pour both 1/32 and 1/16 with one mold the JR-8-1632 would be the mold but if you plan to buy two molds the RHB-8-32 for the 1/32 jigs and the RHB-8-16 for the 1/16 jigs will work very well
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

x2 with stump!! Beat me to it buddy!!!!!!LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I spotted one point that wasn't addressed. You want to use a #4 hook in all of them. The mold says #6 hook. You may have to use a drimel tool or a drill bit to long gate the spot where the hook eye sets. I think I have a few molds that have been altered some.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use 4's and 2's in the mold, I do it all the time.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What canebreaker said was spot on. I use a machinist bit I bought for $3 at the flea market that moves material very easy. Mounted in a drill press and the table moved close I find it easy to make ACCURATE adjustments. You will like the pro molds, much cleaner and less bench time. I smoke mine with a candle and most of them drop out when I tap the mold when they're cooled a second or two. Good choices.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A dremel tool is handy for these adjustments too your molds.Need good clean lead and a well vented area (Lead fumes) .
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.