Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing at Night

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing at Night

What type anchors do you use to fish at nights? What weight? I have a 17 ft boat and want to make sure I am secure and don't want to drift around. Thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, anything that will sit on the bottom, one of the guys on here uses a couple of dumbell free weights.....But if you want to get technical on the issue, it really depends on what type of bottom do you encounter the most. Mud, gravel, rock? There are types of anchors for each type of bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the "Digger Anchor" to be the most reliable in almost all types of bottom. However, technically you are supposed to have at least two types of anchors - one for soft bottoms and one for hard bottoms, each works differently. To economize both space and money - the one I mentioned is the best single anchor I have found. One additional benefit - no chain rode needed.

BTW, both Cabela's and BPS carry them.

Post Thanks / Like

Also depends upon what kind of boat you have. A pontoon boat will pull hard in the wind and take the anchors right out of the ground, where as a low-profile bass boat doesn't need much anchor at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I encounter mostly mud bottoms. I have Bass boat (17 ft) but at nights the water is drawn off the lake creating quite a flow of water. The round two pounders I have are not adequate. I just don't want to drift in the current or wind.

Post Thanks / Like

the best all round anchor ive found for nightstalking, where you wanna have a solid setup is the chene style anchors. they talke a little time to set, but will hold just about any boat. if you running and gunning at night, moving from spot to spot, id use one that drops over the side without having to spend any time settin em, but they gonna let you drift and shift with the wind and wave action. the chenes hang very fast in mud bottoms. Ive been using em for years and have never lost one to a hang.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 17ft bass tracker and hold it still purty good with 2 35#dumbells....they are way too heavy but it's all i had...i wanna switch to the chene style

Post Thanks / Like

I would think a bass boat would hold well with a basic wally world medium size mushroom anchor (just looks like a mushroom turned upside down). If your bottom is at all muddy, just let out enough line to get a little angle on it and it will work into the bottom real well. When you are ready to leave just position your boat right over the top of it and it will pull right up.