Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS for Android Phone

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS for Android Phone

I have an Android Smart phone. Would anyone have a favorite GPS app? I was thinkng of using the phone instread of buying a seperate GPS device. Would this work well enough for you to find your Crappie attractors? Any suggestions or comments either way?

Post Thanks / Like

You should already have Google maps on your phone, which will also do satellite view. It doesn't show contours though, plus gps is a battery killer on a phone.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TxBigRed View Post
    You should already have Google maps on your phone, which will also do satellite view. It doesn't show contours though, plus gps is a battery killer on a phone.
    That and movies!
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking at Memory maps and I may just give it a shot.
    Memory Map | Mapping Software | Topographic Maps

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but unfortunately smart phones don't have enough receivers for the accuracy needed for taking you to a detailed spot like an a crappie attractor. That's what separates dedicated GPS devices from phones.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking for a street navigator GPS app, or something you can use out on your boat? Google maps is OK if you always have data service. It's practically worthless if you don't have data service. If you visit areas where you don't get data, you'll need a paid app capable of storing maps in the device. Since I sometimes drive backcountry roads where I don't have good data signal, I tried a couple of different ones before settling on Garmin Navigon. It gets me where I want to go and rarely crashes on me. Other options are Sygic and TomTom. TomTom was not out when I was looking, but I tried Sygic and it crashed too much on my device. There is no one GPS app that works best on all phones, so try out a few and see which one you prefer.

If you need lake maps, Navionics has an Android app that has the same lakes as their expensive map chips. Shows bottom contours and everything. Costs about $10 and covers all 50 states. They also have a version with HD maps of specific lakes for about $35. I have the US basic map version and I've been very happy with it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...avionics&hl=en

It's nice because the map will show your location on the lake as you move around. It lacks the advanced features of dedicated marine GPS units, but for the price it's a steal. And yes, it will allow you to mark locations and go back to them.

Phone GPS isn't inherently less accurate than a dedicated GPS. They still need to be accurate enough to track a car on a road. It does take them longer to lock onto a signal, and they tend to drop signal easier. That shouldn't be a problem out on the water, though. GPS does tend to suck the battery dry at an astonishing rate, so if your boat doesn't have a 12-volt power socket for a car charger you may want to pack an extra battery.
    Last edited by Shoemoo; 01-31-2013 at 05:00 AM.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

You may not have as good of visibility on the phone in sunlight as you'd like.
    Team "Itch N 2 Fish"

Post Thanks / Like

Navionics for phone is 10 bucks and works pretty good. Used it at Lake Wilson this year drifting for blues. It was better than my Lowrance insight map.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Navionics app on my droid. Great app, but for just GPS coordinates and speed I use the compass in the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigflinger View Post
    I have the Navionics app on my droid. Great app, but for just GPS coordinates and speed I use the compass in the phone.
    I also have the navionics I use for ice fishing. Great app and alot cheaper than a card and gps unit. Already have the phone and the app is only $10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast