Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithvile

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithvile

Does anyone know what is going on at Smithville, any open water and are any of the ramps open?
    Getting cabin fever and I'm thinking the crappie are getting restless.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven’t been in a few weeks but I think Cabin Fever stank is easier to clean off than the Smithville Skunk! There have not been any good reports in a long time and not many good ones all winter?

Post Thanks / Like

Giver hell! Go get em! There biting somewhere just dunno where! :-) good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Drove up there yesterday. Ice on the water at Little Platte and "W" but there is a ramp in the water at W and I could see where someone had driven a boat through the ice from the dock to open water. Had frozen over but I think you could launch and make your way to open water. Watched an Eagle devour something on the ice at Little Platte.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Saturday off the dock at Camp Branch. There was one ramp in the water there and it was relatively ice free. It looked like W was open as well back into the main lake too.

I will say though that the last two times I went up and fished off the dock, actually make that 3 times, I've been skunked. Though I DID have one bite Saturday. That was it though. The one guy catching them about 10 days ago was using three tiny, tiny jigs (1-64, 1-80 and 1-100) on a line. Sometimes he actually caught two at once. He was using an ice fishing pole as well.

He said the bite was more of a grab gently and hold and the only way to tell was a slight difference in feel in how the line felt in your hand.

Whew!

Good luck. I actually skipped going up today despite the glorious weather because I felt almost sure I'd get skunked again.

I know. I know. A fisherman has to be more confident. Try me in a few weeks!

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Saturday also around Camp Branch docks out of boat. Fished piles along road and bridge pillars. I caught one short and my buddy caught one. Better than sitting at home in front of tv. It can only get better, I hope.
    Big Red

Post Thanks / Like

I been skunked twice on the docks as well. Not even a nibble. Called it a day quick.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

1/100????

What the heck you trying to imitate plankton and do ya need a microscope to tie one on?

Post Thanks / Like

I know. It was tiny, tiny, tiny.

I used 1/64ths. It takes forever for those little dudes to sink to the bottom. It tried my patience.