Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Roadrunner Technique

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Best Roadrunner Technique

I was turned onto roadrunners last year and I had one of my best springs ever on Lake Barkley in Kentucky. I mainly used these combos. 1/16 white, chartreuse or orange w/silver blade and 1.5" sparkle green or pink curly tail.
    My reel and rod were utra's with 6lb clear mono.
    I would retrieve it very slow trying to keep it off the bottom. I found that I couldn't control the 1/8 as well. I couldn't keep it in the zone I want with out either it hitting the bottom or I having to fish it too fast.

I do feel very comfortable with the 1/16 and I plan of buying a do-it-mold and pour some 1/32's/

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CC
    Stay legal.

Post Thanks / Like

roadrunner jig heads are some of the best jig heads ever made pluses they stand behind ever one made all i use when i long lining casting
    Last edited by Tracy Swanson; 01-28-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    team member

of the 2011 winners of the c.d.c. lake hartwell fall fest

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this setup and use a 1/16th RR for the bottom lure. Be sure and tie it on with a loop knot. I will use the slip float technique. Cast it toward sturcture (Woods or weeds) and slowly it will fall to the depth where the fish are showing as determined by where you placed the float stop. Swim it slowly back to you. When you think you are fishing it slow then slow it down some more. I use the same setup for deeper water by just having a rod rigged without the slip float. Count it down to a particular depth range and swim in V-E-R-Y slowly back to you. I think it works much better when fished slow and the blade (flash) is barely turning.

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best Roadrunner Technique

I use them for spider rigging as well as longlineing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

CoolCrappie if you start making your own try changing out the blade on the 1/8 oz to the next size larger it'll make a difference. Also if I'm fishing a river where there is some current the 1/8 works better for me but always with the bigger blade. Most of the time the 1/32 and the 1/16 are my go to baits.

RB

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used a roadruner before but did buy some afew weeks ago and can't wait to give them a try. Was wondering if the blade does spin when you'll say to retrieve it very slowly. Using a curly tail with a blade is 2 differant vibration in the water, do they interfer with each other?
    Lets go soak a line. Pat

Post Thanks / Like

I've found (or think anyways) that the RR's run a bit deeper than regular ball head jigs, etc. Anyone else ??
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter012463 View Post
    I've never used a roadruner before but did buy some afew weeks ago and can't wait to give them a try. Was wondering if the blade does spin when you'll say to retrieve it very slowly. Using a curly tail with a blade is 2 differant vibration in the water, do they interfer with each other?
    The slower you can work them the better the spinner works. I have used 100's and have lost 100's but I believe in fishing as close to cover as I can get. You will enjoy catching fish with the Road Runners, awesome bait to always have with you while fishing.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

When i've used the RR i've used it every way imaginable when casting. I've thrown it at cover, open water and everything in between. Sometimes i'll just cast, then jig up and down, sometimes very aggressively and bam, there's a fish. I think one misconception regarding spinning blades is that it doesn't necessarily have to spin perfectly 100% of the time. I think as long as its moving around freely, even if it's just kind of "sloshing" around, it does it's intended job. It reflects and shines no matter the speed it's spinning or not. The spinning creates the vibration in the water which def helps though.
    Gander Mtn GSX.....Perception Pescador 12.....Shakespeare Contender

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast