Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice out crappie fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice out crappie fishing?

Ok so I've been fishing a lot more this year than last and I'd like to get on some crappie at ice out. I don't have a boat so I'm stuck fishing from shore. I'd think that tactics are similar to those used in fall before the ice comes. What are the different strategies to use? I was stuck just jigging for them off of a dock before the ice came but that didn't last long as there were tons of people doing it and the area quickly got fished out. What jigs/plastics would you use, how would you fish them, and would you rather use live bait under a slip bobber?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat as you (or lack there of lol).. I find ice out just as good as spring fishing. I use a 1/32 oz jih head in orange or chart with a lil hustler tri tube.. red/wht/chart under a bobber and i adjust the depth accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ice out crappie fishing?

Any more tips people?

Post Thanks / Like

If they are snapping at the bobber your lure is too deep. Adjust it up some . I am also in the same boat. But am outfishing alot of guys that are. Fish the mouth of creeks. I especially like the outflow creeks. Marshy ares in shallow areas. This is my favorite time to fish of the year for crappie. Try glow jigs also. Red is always good. had good luck on pink. They can be finicky according to weather on color I have found. Try to find creeks with brushy areas on the shore. Hard to fish sometimes but worth it. Bring lots of jigs and bobbers. I lose about 30 bobbers a year spring fishing cause the area I fish is tight with brush and trees. But worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Any more help with this?? I think that we'll have a bit more of ice here in Southeast NE, but I don't know if it's going to get thick enough to be on. Got any more ice out tips people??

Post Thanks / Like

I have a small lake I fish at ice out or even when there is some ice left, that seems to be the best when there is a strong wind blowing right at the dam. In this case it would be a North wind. A pan fish assassin with a crappie nibble or a 1" emerald shiner gulp minnow on a 1/64th jig head under a bobber are good choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you experiment with different depths or have one line shallow and one deep? I was thinking about having the jig head at the end of the line with a hook higher up and either a plastic or another minnow higher up so that I could hit two different depths with one rig. Then I could try one near the bottom and a shallower one.

Post Thanks / Like

What lake are you fishing jordy! EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like the best depths for me are 2 to 5 feet. I have used a slip bobber to get deeper also. Two offerings are always better than one, especially different depths, unless there are alot of snags of course. My area has deeper brush and sometimes a left over weed line along a dam. Wind seems to help alot.

Post Thanks / Like

One lake that I go to a lot by me is Branched Oak Lake and I'll probly hit up Wagon Train and Wildwood also. Wildwood got hammered this ice season for crappie so Idk how good the fishing will be there. Do you guys try to target dam faces and brush piles mostly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast