Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting another hobby

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting another hobby

With wintertime temperatures here in Indiana in the 20's or 30's, I don't do much winter fishing. I decided this year to start another fishing related hobby that I thought I'd share. I'm now casting my own sinkers. I primarily use 3 types of sinkers, finesse drop shot, egg singers, and split shot. At the store a simple pack of six(6) finesse weight can set you back $6 a package.... ouch.

So with this in mind, I started looking into the safety aspect of casting with lead. This includes a quality respirator, welding gloves and eye protection. You must also do this outdoors in a well ventilated area.

I then started looking for sources of lead, and finally found a local tire shop that gives me a bucket full of wheel wheight that weighed about 100 lbs. Once you get that home, you have to learn how to sort the lead weights from the zinc, iron, and steel. I look at markings which help, and I also use a section of steel to "ping" them on if I have any doubt. Lead has a dull sound that you'll come to recognize.

Once you have all the lead wheel weights separated its time to melt those into ingots. This process also cleans the lead and removes the steel clips. I use a propane turkey fryer base, and an old cast iron dutch oven. Once the lead is melted, you need to skim off the steel clips, which will float on the top. Any debris will also float on top that you need to skim off. I then flux with candle wax (tealight size) and stir. Then I skim the debris off again. Once the lead is clean, I carefully pour into an ingot mold using a steel ladle.

Name:  IMG_0116[1].jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  47.3 KBName:  IMG_0119[1].jpg
Views: 3409
Size:  51.9 KB

Once you have your ingots, you are ready to cast your sinkers or jig. I bought a Lee melting pot, and 3 molds. I heated up 8 of the 1lb ingots to start, then I started pouring. Heat the molds before using, and you are also supposed to prep them by moving the mold slowly over a candle to place soot.

Name:  IMG_0134.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  48.7 KBName:  IMG_0128.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  67.7 KB

Note: Pour at a slight angle with a steady stream from the bottom pour melting pot. Finesse weights and crappie jig head require you to insert the line grip, or hooks into the mold. Once you pour, you have to trim off the excess lead. I just drop it right back into the melting pot. I use side cutters to trim the edges.

So after 2 hours of work today I was able to produce 100 finesse weights, 10 crappie jig heads, and 300 split shot in 2 sizes.
    Name:  IMG_0136.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  115.5 KB

One 5 gallon bucket of wheel wheels created 50 (1 lb) ingots. This will create a lot of usable sinkers!

So now I not only do I keep minnows, nightcrawlers, and redworms, I'm casting my own weights. I told a coworker of mine years ago that I hope someday to have my own bait shop. Who knows. This is a fun wintertime hobby that will prepare us for starting fishing in the Spring.

Let me know if you have any questions about getting started! I'm happy to help.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like your set up for spring. I can't afford another hobby. lol
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I have about $150 in the lead melter and the three molds. Since I bass fish in addition to crappie fishing, I know that I was spending around $100 a year on those finesse weights alone. Obviously, I'm a big fan of the drop shot technique. I do believe this will eventually pay for itself in savings.

I have to admit that my wife was less than thrilled with me messing with casting lead. I just make sure that I'm really careful and use safety precautions.

Post Thanks / Like

Those sinkers look great, nice run. One thing I would mention though is to not touch the lead with your bare hands. This includes the ingots and the tire weights. Also always wear full jeans and a full shirt.

Now you can start branching out into spinnerbait, buzz bait, and jig molds. Its great fun, I love doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work

Post Thanks / Like

Always rewarding going homemade..I do the same thing...except with beer

Post Thanks / Like

When i first started it was for myself and a couple of buddies but i bore easily and always wanted more and more to do so i started selling a few here and there and now it has become a full time job but it is something i really enjoy doing...keep up the good work and great post.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post....thinks for the info
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent job.

I too home brew, and have been wanting to do the same thing, except with aluminum. I'll be getting more into foundry work.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hobbies keep a man honest. Those sinkers look good. Looks like youre set for the up and coming fishing season.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast