Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a trolling motor to the deck

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting a trolling motor to the deck

I'll be mounting a trolling motor to the deck of my boat soon but I don't think I'll be able to get to the backside of the bolts to put on the nuts. I've used Well Nuts before on another application but it requires a really large hole in the boat and I'm not too crazy about that. Anyone had a similar setup? What worked good for you? Thanks, Brian
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by freeflow_23
    I'll be mounting a trolling motor to the deck of my boat soon but I don't think I'll be able to get to the backside of the bolts to put on the nuts. I've used Well Nuts before on another application but it requires a really large hole in the boat and I'm not too crazy about that. Anyone had a similar setup? What worked good for you? Thanks, Brian
    I've got a new set of 6 well nuts if you need them. They require a ½" hole. Never had a problem with them except having to retighten once in a while. Just about anything you use is going to require at least a ½" hole if you can't get behind them to put nuts on.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

If it is an aluminum deck, you can consider riv-nuts. They do not require as large a hole.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I've got a new set of 6 well nuts if you need them. They require a ½" hole. Never had a problem with them except having to retighten once in a while. Just about anything you use is going to require at least a ½" hole if you can't get behind them to put nuts on.
    Thanks Bill I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to avoid the well nuts but as in the other application (Throttle controls) I had to use them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan_VA
    If it is an aluminum deck, you can consider riv-nuts. They do not require as large a hole.
    It's fiberglass. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have mine installed with those rubber "Ts". It requires a 1/2" hole but you can take it on and off when you wish. They are usually sold where trolling motors are sold. The tighting screw goes down through the middle and compresses the post of it up so the T. motor stays in place. When the motor is off you just have 4 small 1/8" thick peices of rubber above deck. Don't know if this is what you're referring to when you say well nuts or not.
    Last edited by Carl Palmer; 07-27-2006 at 01:39 PM.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

How about anyone that has a very small mounting platform? I have a very small flat space on the front of my boat and the trolling motor barely fits. I might even have to leave a few bolts out. Anyone had to get creative with their mounting?

Post Thanks / Like

what kind of trolling motor? minn kotas power glide has a small mounting area. Its by the edge of the boat.
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

It is a Minn Kota PowerDrive with auto pilot. Yes the mounting area is somewhat small but my bow doesn't give me lots of room to work with. I think I may have to remove the bow light and go right off the front at a slight angle. Never mounted a trolling motor before so it's all new to me. :D

Post Thanks / Like

looks like you would be better off removing the front light and mounting it right on the front. That is where I have mine mounted. I got the removeable mount for mine, it gave me a bigger mounting area. You can get removable bow light that you can mount behind the trolling motor. Heres a link for the mount I used.
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast