Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Prop tunnel hull jon boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop tunnel hull jon boat?

Ive been looking at maybe trying one out and wondering if anyone has any info on them. Ive been looking at southfork custom boats built in Arkansas. From what I understand they must be set up properly to work right. Just like the idea of running hard in shallow stumpy waters.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Check with F and F custom boats in ARK....I think they are in Montecello, not sure.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

G3 makes a CCT 1860 prop tunnel hull you could check out. I bought a G3 tunnel hull with a jet foot and I love it . Had it in 8 " of water at boat ramp. Really a well thought out boat.

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I remember right Yamaha owns g3 so they do a lot of testing with their motors. Worth checking out while your looking.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the G3 CCT with a Yam 90 prop. Give me 8" of water and I have no problem.
    I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a good looking boat does yours have pods?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I only had hands on with one tunnel and it was a 19' fiberglass with a 150 prop. This was a flats boat Made by Day 5, tiger shoals model. The boat was rigged with a hydraulic jack plate that allowed the motor to be lifted once running. My brother and I are both 250 or better and the guide about 175. The guide was running us back to a black drum hole he knew and we went 1/2 mile in water that had turtle grass poking up in it, no more than 6" and 4 in places. It needed depth to get to speed but once trimmed it was the most awesome shallow water boat I've ever been around. The jack plate really made the boat, might be worth looking into.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

BRM just sold a friend of mine an 1860 Alweld with a tunnel hull. I have a similar hull with a jet tunnel.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop tunnel hull jon boat?

Pods are great for getting on step in shallow water but bad for speed. Southfork makes a really good tunnel and we use them down here in the marsh. 8" of water is what it takes to get them on step with a prop, that is if you have it on a jack plate and set properly. Most guys run a 13 pitch prop on a 40hp-50-hp-60-hp. 8-9 pitch on a 25hp. Couldn't tell you about anything bigger. Also you will need to cup you're prop for cavitation purposes, this will also slow you down. Once you're on step with a properly set up tunnel you should be able to run in 3" of water on step. If you're running stumps you might also want to look at getting a tunnel with a knife, south fork can do this for you no problem. The idea is if the stump is center the boat (in the tunnel) it hits the knife and not you're lower unit. A good running 40hp on a tunnel will run 27-31 mph. A fast tunnel runs 35-38 mph. Also if you've never ran a tunnel or a boat with pods, take it out on an open lake and get used to the handling. The hull will bite if you turn it to sharp. Proper prop set-up can help with this as well, if you set you're prop to run shallow enough the prop will blow out or lose its bite before you're tunnel grabs in a turn. Hope this helps.
    Eatin Ain't Cheatin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. I was planning on the jack plate and cupped prop. From what i hear that is a must. The knife idea is interesting. Never seen or heard of one