Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slip bobber questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip bobber questions

I have a couple question about slip bobbers. First, do yall use split shot above your jigs or do you just let the float come all the way down to the jig? Second, how do you properly balance a slip float? Do you like the balsa or foam floats?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

i like the cheap ones and sometimes i put the plastic bead under the float when i use a 1/16 or smaller jig head so it doesnt get stuck in the float "straw / tube" or whatever u call it.
    "my wife" crappie fishing is a jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other."

pullin they're heads up, ears and all

Post Thanks / Like

I use wood and foam, don't prefer one over the other. I always use a bead to protect the knot and for sound, only use a split shot with minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer balsa wood, or the polypro for just the right amount of added weight to cast under overhung limbs, logs, etc and still be able to stay back a piece from my target. I typically fish live bait (mediums) so most time a No. 4,5 split shot about inch up from knot balances my floats properly, but it's all in your setup to get right balance. Hope this helps.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. There is a stickie at the top of this forum that may help. Check out "Knots and rig drawings for beginners,"
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ship. I enjoyed your article in the latest edition of Crappie World Magazine. Very well done. I am from Trussville, fish a lot of the same waters you do. I am in a Grey and Blue Venture boat with a Mercury XR2. Wave if you see me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip bobber questions

I have recently started using ESB slip bobbers. They are very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm using a slip float with a jig, I rarely ever use a slit shot. I just make sure that the jig head is of the appropriate weight. I do use split shot if I'm using a minnow.

Also, I'm a big fan of the Thill pro slip bobbers with the brass grommet. The grommet really improves the "slide" ability. These bobbers are made of balsa wood, and I like their visibility too.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Thill unweighted slip bobber with the brass ferruel inside of the bobber. It helps to keep the line from cutting a groove in the top of the bobber. I will clamp 2 medium sized split shot on the line. One of the shot about 6 inches from the hook and one more abour 6 inches oabove the first. I put a bead between the bobber and my depth knot. I have used this method for about 20 years and it works great. Most of my fishing is done in Table Rock in MO so we have to fish a little deeper than in some southern lakes.