Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: hey y'all, great message board

Post Thanks / Like

Default hey y'all, great message board

I'm new to your board, and needed another web membership/user name/password like I need a hole in my head. But it seems like you guys really know your crappie fishing and aren't bashful about sharing info. So, here's what I'd like to pick your brains about:
    A 10' or maybe longer jigging pole is something I'd like to try, but don't know the first thing about... other than I'd wanna use it for still fishing submerged brush and slow trolling from my 16' jon boat. Anybody have suggestions?
    Rod holders... I don't have any. I've had my boat over a year, just haven't decided what kind or where to put 'em. They need to be removeable, flush mounted bases if possible so they won't get in the way during island camping water taxi duty. Any ideas?
    Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read this and especially if you can throw me a bone or two.

Good Fishing, Ron

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wecome to the greatest Crappie site on the web. I'm not a jigger, but check out B'n'M Sam's super sensitive jig poles. I like light poles and you won't find a better one IMOHO. I use them for trolling with good success.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Huck...nice to have you join us. Looked back at some of the previous post. Here are some for you to check out about rod holders and rods.
    Rod holders dated 11/28 found on page three of all posts
    Rod holders dated 11/26 also found on page 3
    Set up for spider rig dated 11/19 found on page 5
    Sam's super sensitive pole dated 11/7 found on page 8

You can also use search at the top of the page and look for anything and everything you ever want to know ( some you really didn't want to hear..LOL..like young man who caught "Ole Bigun Made the Paper " dated 11/25
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Holders

Hey Huck welcome to the board.I made some out of six inch schedule 40 PVC pipe.Cut it about 2 1/2" long and use a hole saw to drill two holes in it one on each side alittle above half way up the side.Then cut thru one hole across the center and cut above the other hole use it to put the butt of the rod in and the half hole to cradle the rest of the rod in.I put a slot in the bottom of mine to adjust the angle.They are not as strong as driftmasters but you cant beat the price.I use both on my boat.I saw these on this board somewhere

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Slim:

Welcome to the board. Give the Richard Williams 10ft long Signature series graphite rods a try. You can get them at www.crappiestuff.com I think. If that link is not the right one then let me know and I will post Richard's number. He had them special made for him and us. They are nicely done and have a guide one each foot of the rod. These are the fugi type guides that are very smooth for casthing. They start out with a large diameter guide near the reel and then the next guide gets smaller and smaller until you get to the guide on the end of the rod. These rods are light weight and easy to fish will all day long. But they have a strong backbone for lifting those big slabs out of the water. They have a nice finish on them too. You can mount a small spinning reel on them as they have the fixed reel holders on the handle. He also sells a shorter 7.5 ft rod with a cork handle. I like them both. I have one of each.

They cost less than 30 bucks each. You may have to wait for the next batch to be built as I think he was out of them in Nov. But he may have some more by now. You will have to ask him or Jeanie from Crappiestuff if they are in stock or not.

The BnM Sam Heaton 10ft long rods are very nice also. They are graphite and light weight like Richard's rods but they are a bit more expensive.

As for a rod holder well the other guys can tell you about those. I like to hand hold my rod so I can detect the bites faster. I fish with one rod at a time and that seems to work best for me. Other's can handle three rods at one time. I don't know how they do that. LOL
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I like the PVC rod holder idea, one look at my boat and you can tell I prefer home-made over store bought. Just getting used to how the search tools work here, looks like hours on end worth of good reading so far.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Hey Slim:

Welcome to the board. Give the Richard Williams 10ft long Signature series graphite rods a try. You can get them at www.crappiestuff.com I think. If that link is not the right one then let me know and I will post Richard's number. He had them special made for him and us. They are nicely done and have a guide one each foot of the rod. These are the fugi type guides that are very smooth for casthing. They start out with a large diameter guide near the reel and then the next guide gets smaller and smaller until you get to the guide on the end of the rod. These rods are light weight and easy to fish will all day long. But they have a strong backbone for lifting those big slabs out of the water. They have a nice finish on them too. You can mount a small spinning reel on them as they have the fixed reel holders on the handle. He also sells a shorter 7.5 ft rod with a cork handle. I like them both. I have one of each.

They cost less than 30 bucks each. You may have to wait for the next batch to be built as I think he was out of them in Nov. But he may have some more by now. You will have to ask him or Jeanie from Crappiestuff if they are in stock or not.

The BnM Sam Heaton 10ft long rods are very nice also. They are graphite and light weight like Richard's rods but they are a bit more expensive.

As for a rod holder well the other guys can tell you about those. I like to hand hold my rod so I can detect the bites faster. I fish with one rod at a time and that seems to work best for me. Other's can handle three rods at one time. I don't know how they do that. LOL
    I just got an E-mail from them about the R W poles, they are due in in a couple of weeks. They're suppose to let me know.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I got to see cspen's rod holders in person and was very impressed. Maybe he could post a picture for everyone to see. Take care Chris and Happy Holidays CK.

Just get him on, then we'll worry about getting him in!