Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Crappie on new lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding Crappie on new lakes

how do you guys find them?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Humminbird 1198 to find mine on any lake all the time.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

downed trees and river ledges will keep you busy for a while.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Before going to a "new" body of water, I've always looked at a map of the lake & tried to find areas that resemble areas on my home lakes. Then I've narrowed down where I would stay, that would allow me to fish as many of those areas as possible, in the given time I'd be there. That not being possible, I'd pick where I stayed based on being as close to the best looking area, as it related to the season or conditions..

Once there, I'd pick a area and motor around .... just looking for obvious cover, then fish the area according to where & how deep the fish "should be", given the season/conditions. I would use the same methods there, that I had had success with back on my home lakes, under those conditions.

Of course, I'd always talk to other anglers, bait store & marina workers, as well as watch what others were doing out on the lake. Talking to guide customers can help, too. But, I don't ask them where they fished ... just how they fished & at what depth ranges. If they offered more specific info, fine.

I'd also read fishing reports, when available. But, even with those, knowing they're "old news", I would only use them to give me an idea of what stage the fish were in ... considering the season & conditions ... and relate it to what I'd experienced on my home lakes.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

if its a new lake that you plan on fishing alot i'd hire a guide if you can it will make it alot easier and cut the learning of the lake shorter otherwise it will take time to learn the lake on your own and less time catching them

Post Thanks / Like

A good map and Electronics are the best ways to make quick work of new lakes.
    Remember they are crappie and what they do on your home lake then chances are they are doing the same thing on the new lake.

Join a local crappie club and fish the different lakes with them. You will learn a ton from being around good crappie fisherman and seeing first hand how they go about finding fish.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Finding Crappie on new lakes

A good side imagineing fish finder is a big help scouting out unfamiliar waters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I don't have a fish finder and to be honest don't know much about them. thanks for any suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy has great advice, know season you are going to fish,then look for places in that lake relating to that season. Is it a bowl lake or a lake with creeks,is it a deep lake,a river control lake,what kind of structure do it have,brush,lilly pads, lay downs,docks,standing timber and what depth is the structure in,much of this can be observe by a look at lake and a map and running arounr a portion of lake. You can not always use your lake for comparsion if one is a bowl lake and the other a creek lake. Went to fla for 2 weeks and fish a few lakes and did well but being a bowl lake was very different than my lakes,had to change my fishing style to the situation except when i saw a few docks,then it was like home but was not enough docks to fish all day,so had to troll which i rather not do,my point is you may have to change your method to that lake to catch many
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

I love fishen new lakes its a challenge. Water clarity, weather, time of year, water temp. All play there role. In spring id fish obvious structure. thats structure you can see sticking up out of the water. If its cold slow down your retreave if the waters merkey brighten your jig up like white and chartruse. Theres a thousand tips you could try but the most important thing to do is just stick to the basics.
    Happy Hooken.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast