Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigs at Night?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs at Night?

Has anyone ever had any success using jigs when nightstalking? I usually just set out a dozen or so tight-lined minnow poles around my Hydro-glo, but lately the small white bass have been a real problem. I was thinking of trying a jig with crappie nibbles might work.....

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I am using two rods with one jig each. You don't have to move it much, just drop it down to the fish. If you don't get a hit in about 30 seconds, shake the rod tip a little. Moving it slowly from side to side produces too.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=22648

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=23122
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I have good success nightstalking with jigs.

If you look thorugh the jig heads at bass pro on the colors, you will see one that is GLO. These have really worked good so far. They also have some tubes that glow in 1.5" and 2" as well as some curly tails and feather tails. Just gotta look at all the colors of the plastics.
    The glow ones seem to do really well either vertical jigging or once you find their depth just drop the jig there and everyonce in a while give her a little pop.
    I have also had a lot of success with the YUM beavertails. The 1.5" and 2" Black/purple and black/chartreuse at night have been working the best here in OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and i usually do double jigs per rig. One Yum beavertail and one glow tube per Rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToadRunner
    Has anyone ever had any success using jigs when nightstalking? I usually just set out a dozen or so tight-lined minnow poles around my Hydro-glo, but lately the small white bass have been a real problem. I was thinking of trying a jig with crappie nibbles might work.....
    Yes I have and do use jigs at night. There are a lot of ways to use them. Caught some on a Black/Pink jig last Saturday night and had some on minnows too.
    First is just as they are.
    Next if you use a tube jig put the crappie nibbles inside with the Bait Pump.
    Next use a jig like I make and tip it with a minnow or a crappie nibble.
    Next use sent on one of the kind of jigs I make to give it some flavor.

I use all the above and also use minnows some too, but only in the summer. I don't buy minnows in the Fall or Spring because I catch more and bigger fish on jigs then.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I have decent luck at night with jigs, but I almost always take minnows along. Speaking of the bait pump, I got mine a week ago and took it out last weekend. This is a great product. I probably used a 10th or less nuggets then I would have if I was still hooking them on. I would say when I injected my tubes with the baitpump they lasted at a minimum an hour. Very nice. Some of the best money I have spent.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62
    I have decent luck at night with jigs, but I almost always take minnows along. Speaking of the bait pump, I got mine a week ago and took it out last weekend. This is a great product. I probably used a 10th or less nuggets then I would have if I was still hooking them on. I would say when I injected my tubes with the baitpump they lasted at a minimum an hour. Very nice. Some of the best money I have spent.

Mike
    I agree, that bait pump works really well. One of the things that made me not want to mess with crappie nibbles is how easy they come off your hook, but not now. I also like how long it last inside the tube.

Heck I use every thing I can to catch them old fish, my jigs, tube jigs, many other soft plastics on jigs, little spinner jigs and yes in the summer even minnows. I have never been one to limit what I can use to catch them.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot for the great responses! I am planning another nightstalk Saturday night and will definetly have minnows AND jigs over the side. I will let you know which does better. -Toad

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I just ordered my Bait Pump. It may not get here in time for this Saturday's trip, but it will be put into service as soon as it arrives.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info, I have not ever had any luck with jigs at night. I have caught bunches on minnow, but not on jigs. I will put this information to work.
    LET IT RIP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast