Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, you're planning a spring fishing trip?

Post Thanks / Like

Default So, you're planning a spring fishing trip?

First off, I want to say thanks to you all for the info and knowledge I've gained from this site through your posts - I feel like I'm back home when I get on the site and read what all you guys have been up to. Posting this also helps me to organize my own thoughts and ideas about the spring spawn and give back what I can.

As we all know there are a lot of questions and posts concerning the spawn every spring, so I’ve decide to consolidate the insight and observations provided by a lot of the members over the years (as best I can). I’ll be focusing on LOZ because I know that lake the best, which is not saying much, but a lot of this will apply to other lakes in the area to a certain extent.

As others have said, spring fishing can really suck at times. I’ll try to cover certain variables/factors that play into success or failure, so we all can time our trips a bit better. 

Main factors/variables to spring fishing success:

1 - Temperature (water and air)
    2 – Length of Daylight Hours (time of year)
    3 – Water levels (stability)
    4 - Barometric pressure (weather)
    5 – Moon phases

The problem with spring time is all these variables can take drastic swings - sometimes all at once.

Temperature: Once the water hits the low to mid 50’s (usually in March), the crappie put on the feed-bag and can be found in and around their spawning areas, but are likely just chasing baitfish. Most people report that pre-spawn activities probably begin somewhere in the high 50’s, and that they begin to spawn when water temps creep above 60 degrees. Although, other factors come into play before this is entirely true – like length of daylight and water levels. Here’s a link to more spawn temp info: CRAPPIE

Length of Daylight: I’m a firm believer in this one and its affect on crappie activity in the spring. From what has been said on CDC, they begin to get more active once we begin to get 12 hours of daylight and can be in full swing and nearing and end at 14 hours. An article I just read said that at 13.2 hours a day, the first spawning activity was noticed. Food for thought. So for us, we hit 12 hours of daylight in Mid March, 13 hours in early April and 14 hours by early May. Here’s the site with Sunrise and Sunset info:
    Sunrise & Sunset Times by Zip Code

Water Levels: As we all know, lake levels on LOZ in the spring can be swing wildly and be unpredictable (like my wife’s’ mood). Lol. I’ve been studying the water levels over the last few years and it seems like once we hit April, it gets less stable, dependent on the Corp’s mood and weather. We’ve all seen it rise by a few feet in a couple days then drop again. In my experience, this can greatly interrupt the crappie’s spawning plans and push the spawn back or make it extremely sporadic (like last year). The fish don’t necessarily get lock-jaw, they just get confused and hard to locate. If I notice a significant rise or fall in the water level, I would wait a few days for the fish to adjust to the change before going out. With that said, I don’t think the rise it what turns them off, it’s the mainly the fall. Here’s a link you can use to monitor water levels and temps: Lake of the Ozarks Water Levels

Barometric Pressure: This is my fishing bane. I attribute most of my spring time fishing failures to high pressure. Well, maybe it’s just a lack of talent. I say this because I’ve been out on days when all the other factors are fairly good, but the fish still don’t cooperate. The only thing I can come up with is that most of those days were unseasonably sunny and hot days for spring. I can only conclude that the high pressure associated with some of these days puts them in a lock-jaw state. I can still catch them during this time, but they only bite decent in the very early morning or late evening. I like the slightly warm and cloudy days with occasional light drizzle the best during spring. Don’t get me wrong - I love warm sunny days, but I like catching fish more. With that said, if the forecast calls for few days of higher than normal temps (let’s just say in the 80’s in early to mid April) I’ll likely put off the trip until later. Although, I remember having one of my better trips when it was HOT. Go figure. Any given day I guess….

Moon Phases: We’ve all heard a little about how moon phases can trigger fish activity or spawning. I’m not too sure about that, but I do believe that it is somewhat true, as it is more likely an amplifier to what is already occurring. I do like to plan night fishing tips around the full moon, though. Our Full moon occurs 27 March and 25 April. The new moon is 11 March, 10 April and 10 May. If you line these up with length of day, etc etc…you may begin to notice a trend/pattern. Here’s a link to the Lunar Calendar: Lunar calendar 2013

So, when is the best time to take a trip to the lake for spring time fishing for spawning crappie? That depends. I do think that April is the BEST and WORST time. It’s really just a lottery during that time. No, strike that. It’s more like poker. Be patient, don’t jump in raising too early, or don’t wait too long for the perfect hand. Me, I’m gonna call.

A successful trip would most likely be had under these conditions: 55 plus degree water temps - Moderate/stable weather for a few days - Stable water levels - 12 plus hours of daylight - Werewolf moon - Good friends and cold beer.

Please feel free to add more info/insight or correct me on anything that may be incorrect, and I’ll edit this first post so people won’t have to read down through too many pages (if that be the case).

Fish on!

-Coop
    Swan-Diving off the tongues of crippled giants

Post Thanks / Like

I believe you have done a great job of consolidating all of this information and sure that it will work on most lakes close to the same latitude in the midwest.
    I know that what you have said is pretty true for Pomme.
    Thanks again for the post. dfar

Post Thanks / Like

great post, thanks, sometimes I think about doing something like that, a log as it were.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I would add is a day on the water is better than watching Tv or doing honey do this or that. Also keep in mind here on Smithville different parts of the lake warm up faster !
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I like this post. One thing I know that screws up crappie fishing the most is a big hard rain that jumps the lakes way up and muddies them up. Usually they're running water and it gives the lake a current. So spider rigging can be a cure all to a caster like myself during those times. You can still get out and while they're scattered way out usually find them.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, as you said LOZ is a roll of the dice when it comes to the spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

That's one nice job you did putting that together.
    Balzout Mounts

Post Thanks / Like

great post. Thanks.

I wonder when the best time of the day is to be fishing. Does the moon rise and moon sit have any effect?

I remember one spring when a guy told me the crappie would be moving in to the banks around 4pm, but would be there a short time. I wonder if the moon rise or sit had anything to do with it.
    Anyone have any ideas how the moon rise or sit have any effect on the movement/active of crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Musky Bob View Post
    great post. Thanks.

I wonder when the best time of the day is to be fishing. Does the moon rise and moon sit have any effect?

I remember one spring when a guy told me the crappie would be moving in to the banks around 4pm, but would be there a short time. I wonder if the moon rise or sit had anything to do with it.
    Anyone have any ideas how the moon rise or sit have any effect on the movement/active of crappie?
    I'm not too sure, but it may have more to do with length of day?

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I could go back and edit my initial post at any time to add info. Well, guess not - so I'll just add it here.

Android Barometer and weather App: Radar Now! Android Application Home (find radarnow app)

You can go to NWS Internet Weather Source, enter your state under "United States Weather" and then select reporting stations around your area to see what the current and past 24-hour weather conditions including barometric pressure.

Pressure forecast Map: weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Midday Forecast

Most people seem to think fishing is better at the 29.80-30.15 pressure range

ScoutLook fishing App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....fishing&hl=en
    Should help with logging/recording fish catches, along with weather at the time and other variables. Good for keeping historical records for future trips.

Again, thanks to all those that provided the information!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast