PDA

View Full Version : Taking Dad Fishing

anchorpuller
07-26-2006, 11:26 AM
My father came up for a visit this week. We took advantage of the weather, time and situation to wet a hook.
It is a challenge for him, these days, to get in and out of the boat. We managed well this time, getting in a few hours of cooler fishing at night. Of course, he is a jig man and I'm a minner girl. After I had boated about 10, he decided to try some of my minners. I'm sure he would do well on a brush top or some structure during the day, but for night fishing the minners proves out once again.
What a blessing to have had the time together and enjoy a favorite past time creating memories to be cherished.

We fished a bridge near the boat ramp in about 27' of water. The white bass that usually pester the devil out of me, didn't. Fish were shallow at about 4'-7' down. The bugs were bad, so we just used the one submersible and kept the lantern off.

We aren't sure what worked better, the bounty dryer sheet, the spray off, or the little coil bracelet/anklet things, but we didn't suffer any bugbites!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/anchorpuller/Fishing047.jpg

I do believe the ole fart is happy!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/anchorpuller/Fishing044.jpg

Can't wait to set a hook!

crappiencali
07-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Congrats on your success. I still enjoy taking my dad out on the boat to catch a few fish. Really special memories.

Carl Palmer
07-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Be sure,even if you have to really put forth a lot of effort to spend as much time as humanly possible with him. Mine has been gone for about 60 years now and I still dredge up good memories of hunting and fishing with him. Be thankful for what you have with him.

mduncan62
07-26-2006, 12:51 PM
That is awesome, I hope my kids take me fishing when I'm not able to do it on my own. He looks like a slab master off the ol' block.

roybuoy
07-26-2006, 01:31 PM
I agree with what Carl said,mine has been gone only two and a half years.I took him every chance that I could when he was able. He was my best friend and fishing partner,it can't get any better than that.Enjoy your father as long as you can AP.

EDDY CREEK BANDIT
07-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Yep, That brings back memories of both my Mom and Dad. I fished with both until they passed on. I just wish I had one more chance to take them with me. Mom has been gone for 11 years and my Dad has been gone 16. Enjoy them while you have them. I miss them both. THE BANDIT:(

bugman
07-26-2006, 01:46 PM
You made that ole boy's day he was one happy feller when those pics were taken...fishin + family = fun

J White
07-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Nice pictures AP, glad ya'll are getting to go :)

ribit
07-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Great pictures and memories that will aways be with you. He sure looks happy to me. May world be yours. lol

Jerry Blake
07-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Way to go Laura! Looks like a very happy man indeed! I too hope someone will take me fishing when I can no longer go alone.

Crappie Reaper
07-26-2006, 06:37 PM
You make a daddy proud!

signman1
07-26-2006, 06:47 PM
I WANT TO TAKE MY DAD OUT BAD !! BUT A CHARTER TRIP IS $400.00 FOR A MINIMUM OF 4 PPL ONLY I DONT HAVE AN EXTRA 2 PPL TO GO!! I HAVE A BROTHER WHO IS STILL LIVING AT HOME AGE 35 (LOL) NOT WORKING SO ITS ALL UP TO ME !! YES & NO I AM NOT WINIING !! BUT DAD IS 70 SOMETHING AND I DONT SEE MUCH TIME LEFT !! (BAD HEART ECT!!) WE DIDNT DO MUCH TOGHTER AS FATHER & SON WHEN I WAS YOUNGER !! BUT I REALY WANT TO DO THIS FOR MY DAD NOW !! :confused: http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/images/smilies/confused.gif
http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/images/smilies/confused.gif

ANYONE !!

HOW WOULD YOU HANDEL THIS ???

BUCKMARK
07-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Awesome post! Looks like dad had a blast.

Signman1 -

If I were you I would worry less about a charter boat trip you may not be able to afford, and more about taking dad out fishing. I have lots of good memories hunting, fishing and shooting with dad...some of those trips cost big bucks. But I also love the times we set up lawn chairs and catch panfish at the lake. Nothing like fishing with dad, drinkin a few cold ones, and talkin about things that don't matter.

signman1
07-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Awesome post! Looks like dad had a blast.

Signman1 -

If I were you I would worry less about a charter boat trip you may not be able to afford, and more about taking dad out fishing. I have lots of good memories hunting, fishing and shooting with dad...some of those trips cost big bucks. But I also love the times we set up lawn chairs and catch panfish at the lake. Nothing like fishing with dad, drinkin a few cold ones, and talkin about things that don't matter.

YEA THATS A KOOL IDEA TOO I GUESS I WAS JUST LOOKING TO BIG !!
I THINK THATS WHAT I'AM GOING TO DOO!!

Carl Palmer
07-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Signman, that would be a really neat thing to do---take your dad fishing. Even just a trip to the pond with worms and minnows, or crickets will make memories that will last the rest of your life. Be very sure a camera goes with you to record what you wish to hold close to you.

anchorpuller
07-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement. It is something I cherish, time with my father. It seems, he tries so very hard these days to do those things that he took so much for granted in years past. I'm happy to do what I can to help him do it.

Signman,

I really like the idea of some bank fishing too! In fact, it makes me quite nervous to have my father out in the boat in the winter, when the water is cold. If he went in, I just could not get him back in the boat! Even in the warmer water, I never venture far from the ramp. I figure if he goes in, I can tie an anchor rope around him and "troll" him to the ramp. We've talked about it and I know he is a little nervous too. I've tried in vain to get him to wear a life vest. :( I just hope the good Lord looks out for us and he can flounder around long enough for me to get a rope on him! I keep my throwables at hand. It is a hard thing to want so desperately to allow him to do things while worrying about him getting hurt or worse. There is a point where quality overrides careful. There is also a point where stupidity can never be taken back! Good luck with your father and I hope you are able to "git r dun"

lee s.
07-27-2006, 03:17 PM
An absolutely GRAND report Anchorpuller! More of this should happen.
....lee s.

fish_detective
07-28-2006, 03:42 AM
Now that is a GREAT photo... Now this is what fishing is all about. Best of luck on your future fishing trips.

Carl Palmer
07-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Anchorpuller, One thing that you might want to look at is a suspenders type vest. I bought one that will inflate either automatically or manual. I used to think I was alright as long as I had something in the boat, but as I got older and finally realizing I am not near as tough as I thought I was years ago, plus the fact I fish by myself a lot at night, and knowing there would be no one to take care of my wife if I did have an accident, I decided that this type vest fit the bill. Yes they are expensive, but I guess it comes down to the value you put on a life and the effort you want to expend keeping your family from heartache and suffering. I wear mine (and no they ARE NOT uncomfortable) every minute I'm in the boat, even anchored. There are too many close calls out there with some of those idiots running around. If this makes me a wuss then I guess I'll have to be one. I don't even know I have it on most of the time, sorta like a seat belt in a vehicle. I don't let anyone in the boat with out one and if they want to take it off when we're anchored, thats fine. When the motor goes on so do the vests. This may have a tendacy to make me unpopular with some folks, too bad I guess. They can drown on their own time. Sorry don't mean to preach, just trying to help you with your dad. Once he knows he is in the boat and the boat will not be started or moved until he has one on, he'll come around to the idea.

DENNIS BOWERS
07-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Puller,SUPER!!!!Your dad sure looks happy to me!!!! Signman-How far are ya from me???Might be A Crappie Trip if its not to far-pm me.

crap-king
07-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Fun trip - I lost my dad 11 years ago today - he started taking me fishing at ponds and rivers when I was about 4 years old bought me a Sears Ted Williams model spinner combo when I was 6 - I never had go carts or mini-bikes or stuff like that but my Dad took us to the beach fishing 5 or 6 times a year - about a 4 hour trip - we camped or stayed at an inexpesive cabin and fished off the pier or on the surf - we ate sandwiches until we started catching fish - and we ate fish and always took fish home - I do the same thing till this day - my wife and her parents, sister and my nephews we all have a big time - in the summe rwe load the boat with beac chairs and umbrellas and toys and fishing equipment and head out to the sand bars and stay all day ... going back in 2 weeks... life is good ...take advantage of it

Crappie Xtreme
07-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Looks like you had a great time Anchorpuller. Keep up the good work and take him as much as you can. That was one of the last things my dad and I did together was crappie fish.

Crappie X.

signman1
07-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Puller,SUPER!!!!Your dad sure looks happy to me!!!! Signman-How far are ya from me???Might be A Crappie Trip if its not to far-pm me.

WELL I AM 4 HRS NORTH OF DETROIT !! IF THAT TELL YOU ANY THING!!! lol
AND DAD IS ABOUT 6 HRS FROM YOU

slabbandit
07-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Great looking pics AP, One of the most comical times that I've had lately was trying to coach my Dad while he was fighting a 6 lb. cat on a graphite jig pole. We don't get together often but we have the best times together when we are fishing.:)

wrwest
07-31-2006, 11:20 AM
I have to agree, spend time with your parents, My dad passed away 27 years ago and mom 5 years I miss them both. Take them fishin, to lunch, dinner or just a car ride. Good post. congrats and good pics...