Thread: Are you older than dirt!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you older than dirt!

Someone asked the other day,,
    'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'
    'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up ?? ,'

I informed him ,,. 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
    'It was a place called 'at home,' I explained. !

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work,
    we sat down together at the dining room table,& if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

Here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 11, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God. It came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers--my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at5AMevery morning.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to sh are some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn 't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
    Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
    Ignition switches on the dashboard.
    Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
    Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
    Using hand sign als for cars without turn signals..

Older Than Dirt Quiz :
    Count all the ones that you remember,, NOT the ones you were told about!!{ or change the color of the print }
    Ratings at the bottom.

1.Candy cigarettes
    Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes
    3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
    4.Party lines on the telephones
    5.Newsreels before the movie
    6.TVtest patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there untilTV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels !!

[if you were fortunate])
    7.Peashooters
    Howdy Doody
    78 RPM records
    10.Hi-fi's records
    11.Metal ice trays with lever
    12.Blue flashbulb
    13.Cork popguns
    14.Studebakers
    15.Wash tub wringers
    <>
    If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
    If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
    If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age, &
    If you remembered 11-15
    =

You're older than dirt!!! THAT'S ME !!!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life..

DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep .. I'm "Older than dirt", too !!

One thing I wish they'd "bring back" is the floor mounted headlight dimmer/brights switch.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

6 that distinctly remember...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are you older than dirt!

Older than dirt here. I remember them all, and wish they were still here.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I made the list. I could add a few more.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You old turds need to take your Geritol and go to bed. It is dark outside.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Now fast food is cheaper than cooking, if people even have a home to cook in. Both parents have to work now in order to even come close to making ends meet. The only ones who can afford (and HAVE to have) Nike, Fubu, and all the other "hip" clothes (including a gold grille)....are the FSA. Movie stars still kiss with their mouths closed sometimes, even when they're the same gender.

Candy? The Wookie says we're all too fat, just before she stuffs her face. Juke boxes are long replaced by Ipods, Iphones, and I-everything else, which naturally every parent gets their kids......status-quo ya know. Peashooters? Good thing they're in the past.....probably be banned anyway...under the "Assualt Peashooter Ban".

Studebaker would still be making cars and trucks, if the gov handed-out taxpayer money for bailouts back then, but they had some odd belief that you were responsible for yourself and your own business ventures....what were they thinkin'?

I sure liked things the way they were, I can remember when times were good. Maybe that's why I have such a problem with the way they are now.............

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Older than dirt for me to. Didn't find one I didn't remember.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Older than dirt for me to. Didn't find one I didn't remember.
    Ditto

Post Thanks / Like

Crap, I am now older than dirt.

One I didn't see on teh list was indoor plumbing. Fortunately we had indoor plumbing.

I lived in the Colorado Rockies in my single digit years and had a pair of wood skis. Yep, skis made from wood. The school took us skiing every other Friday. That was our class for the day. Most days we went to Brekenridge Ski resort. Some times it was Keystone. I lived at 9,100' elevation, almost twice as high as Denver. In a little town called Frisco. Good times, good times.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast