Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cleaning live wells

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleaning live wells

I know this has been brought up before, but what the hey. I've heard some people use vinegar and some baking soda. Whats the easiest? Fill it up with water and dump one of those in and let it sit for a day or so? If so, how much?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I do ...

Before leaving the house fill the livewell with clean water and add your chemical (see below), drive to your fishing spot and drain before launching - now launch and start your pump to cycle and clean - it will be ready for fish within the hour. By adding nice clean water at the house and driving - you get a nice sloshing that will clean her up well. Don't worry if a bit gets out, it won't hurt a thing as long as you stick to bilge cleaner and/or baking soda.

If it is extra dirty, slimy, etc. - use bilge cleaner. It is biodegradable and non-toxic.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

If it is just a bit smelly and needs sprucing up - use baking soda. It won't hurt a thing, either.

The trick is to do this once a month or more often, keeps it from getting too bad.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by TampaJim; 07-25-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I rinse mine out most every trip with a hose and then leave it open to dry. If needed I would put some baking soda in and scrub it with a brush and rinse out and let dry.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

On basscenter on ESPN2 they gave their boat a bath at the car wash. The hose gives enough power to get the microscopic bacteria that you might carry from lake to lake. They recommended this to do your whole trailor as well. Just an idea.
    CoRy:cool:

Post Thanks / Like

I took my boat to the carwah and pressure washed the livewells out. Then I poured some baking soda in to there and scrubed the heck out of them. Then rinsed them really good.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave