Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not "reel" happy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not "reel" happy

Not long ago I asked for suggestions on a new UL spinning reel to replace my GM Guide Series reel that croaked.

I was doing a little research before I made up my mind, when my cousin called and asked if we were going crappie fishing the next day.

I rushed off to Wally-World in search of a new reel. No GM's, Bass Pro or Cabelas within a hour drive.

I looked at 4 models and decided to go with the Quantum Xtra-light for $28.00
    I stuck it on my rod, spooled it up and threw it in the truck with the gear.

It casts fine and has very few problems with tangles even with Berkley 4lb XL.

the problem is that it made a "whirlin sound" right out of the pack...not real smooth. Today was the second trip out with it, and the sound is still there when you crank it...but now it also makes a sound like clicking bearings.

I don't think it's gonna die soon...but I'm not happy with Quantum's reel. I think this UL is gonna go on the shelf for a back-up, and I'm going to look into a Shimano Sidestab.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been slowly replacing all mine with Diawa Samuri 1000i reels. Its a fine reel for 30 bucks. I'd like to put Shimano Symetre 750s on all them but $80 a shot is a little expensive for me. Some people here in Va run across super deals on them. Huh Don? LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

i like my diawa samria 2500 better than tha 1000 or 1500

Post Thanks / Like

I inherited a pair of Daiwa SS 700's from my dad, and they are SWEET.

The reel weighs 7 oz., has a long cast spool and worm gear oscillation for perfect line lay. They have an excellent reputation for durability. At $89 each, it might be more than you'd want to spend, but they are solid reels.

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at a Shimano Spirex (at $59) I think you will be happy even though it's a little more money. Very nice reel for the money.

Here is a link at Cabela's and I know BPS has them too.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...eels&noImage=0

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    If you look at a Shimano Spirex (at $59) I think you will be happy even though it's a little more money. Very nice reel for the money.

Here is a link at Cabela's and I know BPS has them too.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...eels&noImage=0

Every Shimano reel I ever owned had the rear drag. I always found it easier to play with since my free hand was away from the spool/line. Why is front drag better??

I never owned a spinning reel with dual handles like that. Is it easy to get used to? I'm sure it adds weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the Pflueger reels the presidents and trion lines. Friends that swore by the shimano spirex are changing there for pfluegers. You best way to find a new reel is take a trip to bass pro shops where they have all the reels out so you can each one for a test spin.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I would concur on the Shimano Spirex @ $59. Probably the toughest and most dependable reel for the money. I just passed along two of them to a neighbor after 10 years of regular use - they are still just like new in the functionality sense. I got lucky and married a woman who just spoiled me with a pair of Stradics as replacements - passing along my old reels was my way of sharing my good fortune. The drag is available in front or rear models - choose the one that suits you best.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Pflueger reels and the Quantum PTi rells. Totally day and night from extralite reels. Also I used one of the Wally Marshall signature series reels this past April. I liked it and they aren't that expensive.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Here here for the PTi's, have several of the Kenetics and luv em...izzy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast