Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Floating Crickets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floating Crickets

After reading about freelining crickets I gave it a try. I love it, they just tear em up. Bigger fish also. I will be taking my boy thursday morning before work will post some pics.

I needed a camera for this incident. I had caught a small brimm and all of a sudden my line got real heavy, turns out a gar had grabbed the brimm. He would not let go either, but after fighting it for a minute he finally released the little thing. Brimm lived to see another day. Nature can be mean.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Great . Glad to hear it works for you. Sometimes the natural way is the best way (no weight) but adding a small split shot or two about an inch above the bait is necessary for me if there is a current or if the bait is too light to cast. One way for me to overcome casting the light bait (I sometimes do this) without weight in a current is to drop the bait down in the water and let the current carry the bait down. The weight for me of course usually depends on how the fish are biting (on the bottom or on the drop) or if there is a current or not. I first freelined once up on a lake in Virginia when I was so young I barely remember it but I do recall that I caught a whole lot of White Specks on live crickets (hook&cricket mostly but I did use a splitshot later on) from a dock :D. Since then I freeline a lot to mostly catch bream.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 07-26-2006 at 07:59 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"