Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yankee heading south

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yankee heading south

I hope any of you good ole boys will watch out over me as my Yankee butt heads down into south Georgia for the weekend. The state of Georgia is dedicating a bridge to Johnny Wayne Spivey in Willacoochee, GA this Saturday morning. Johnny was a fellow aviation ordnanceman in my squadron that was killed aboard the Forrestal in 1967. There will be 16 of us representing the squadron and the ship, with family and friends there's supposed to be over 100. That would be a nice turn out for a young man who gave his life to his country 37 years ago. We have a bridge about 40 miles from me that's dedicated to another Forrestal crewman.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear it!Although one might say a bridge doesn't do him justice , it's good to see him recognized for his valour.If you have any problems along 85 in sc I'd be glad to help any "northerner" in distress.Thanks shellback , this is the first chance I've had to show love for those of the northern persuasion since the yankee fiasco several months back.Good luck on your trip....E.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to you Shellback, and to all of those who served and are serving our Country!!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    I hope any of you good ole boys will watch out over me as my Yankee butt heads down into south Georgia for the weekend. The state of Georgia is dedicating a bridge to Johnny Wayne Spivey in Willacoochee, GA this Saturday morning. Johnny was a fellow aviation ordnanceman in my squadron that was killed aboard the Forrestal in 1967. There will be 16 of us representing the squadron and the ship, with family and friends there's supposed to be over 100. That would be a nice turn out for a young man who gave his life to his country 37 years ago. We have a bridge about 40 miles from me that's dedicated to another Forrestal crewman.
    Well I'll be darn. I didn't think anyone else in the world had heard of Willacoochee. My 1st wife and all her family is from there. I think in the early 60's population was 2-300. Is that bridge over the Alapaha River? I've fished it many times. Never caught much tho. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what river the bridge is over, but I'll know after the weekend. I sure wish I was going to see him, rather than a bridge dedicated to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Shellback - you know a guy by the name of Noonan?

When I was on one of the basset boards, there was a Georgia Tech grad a few years younger than me who lost a brother in Nam. I believe both were Navy men. The guy I knew lived in Atlanta. I can't remember the details any more. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Shellback even though will not be able to be there in person. Maybe someday I'll get to Georgia and visit the bridge. Think it is great.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    I know it will be a tearful occasion for all that were aboard the USS Forrestal, my sympathies to the sailors and their families that that were lost in the fire, and also the ones that were injured and trying to live through the memories of that horrible accident. May God Bless them all.

Shellback, if anyone gives you a hard time, get his name and I'm sure we can find some "grits" to introduce him to the ol' cat o' nine tails. :D Be safe.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    When I was on one of the basset boards, there was a Georgia Tech grad a few years younger than me who lost a brother in Nam. I believe both were Navy men. The guy I knew lived in Atlanta. I can't remember the details any more. - Roberta
    I just checked, no Noonan aboard was killed. Thanks for thinking about him.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paris, Kentucky

With Roberta asking about a sailor named Noonan who lost his life, I had to go over my list of those killed. Seems there was a fellow William Collins from Paris, Kentucky killed. I know I've seen some posts from folks from Paris, but can't remember if it's Paris, TN or KY.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast