Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: To HB Greg 586 HD DI

Post Thanks / Like

Default To HB Greg 586 HD DI

I would like to know the best settings for a basic setup for DI. The more i read the less i understand. I fish 6' to 25' of water. Most of the time it is not muddy. My transducer is mounted on my trolling motor. My speed is about 1 mph or less. The only difference i see in DI and the regular chart is one is blue and the other is yellow and red. I may sound dumb but when you look at the Summary Guide it really gives you a lot to go by NOT. Please just give me the settings that should be on and what should be off. Switch fire on or off . What beam? Which HZ? Ect. CUB48

Post Thanks / Like

Cub48, I have cruised youtube a lot and got some valuable info and where settings work the best. Just an FYI while you wait on an answer from Greg.
    U.S. Air Force Retired

Post Thanks / Like

I would first start by decreasing the Chart Speed menu to a setting of 1 or 2 since you are moving so slowly. As you move faster, set this menu higher.

DI sonar settings: for the Imaging Frequency I would set to the 455kHz setting for now so that you will cover a wider area of the water column and lake bottom.

2D sonar settings: for the Beam Select menu setting I would use the 200kHz setting, again for the wider area covered by it. The SwitchFire menu I would set to the Max Mode setting when in water deeper than about ten feet. Depending on your water conditions, the display may become too cluttered if you run it in Max Mode when shallower than this.

All of the Sensitivity menus should be set according to what you like. You can set the Sensitivity too high, which would maake the display too cluttered with all of the sonar returns from very small objects in the water or cause the unit to not be able to display the detail of the bottom or structures.

Everything else I would leave at the factory defaults until you become more familiar with the unit and what each menu selection does.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Greg I will try these settings next time i go. Thanks again Cub48.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm new to s/i & d/i also. but, i'm see better quailty images by setting max depth to 50' and s/i range to 70'. i fish in 3'-40' of water. also noticed color screen on 2d seems better on pallet 3, and adjusting backlight setting also helps 2d & d/i. i still got alot to learn. hope this helps. good luck, rick