Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What are stakebeds?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are stakebeds?

Sorry new to fishing but what are steakbeds? Keep hearing a lot of people talking about stake beds but I have no clue what they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are stakebeds?

Stakes or cane/bamboo driven into the mud in ideal locations such as ledges, drops or any other area that is already holding Crappie, to provide cover, thus improving the fishing in said area. I guess this and other similar structures could also be cosidered a stake bed.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358663828.591583.jpg
Views: 3127
Size:  71.2 KB
    I borrowed this pic from Nimrod

C.J.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Stakebeds are boards or stakes driven in the bottom or attached to something like a pallet and sunk. They are verticle and hold fish well not to mention hang ups are few.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    Sorry new to fishing but what are steakbeds? Keep hearing a lot of people talking about stake beds but I have no clue what they are.

Welcome from Alabama. You will find people here ready to answer all of your questions. This is a teaching website...hence no question is a dumb question. It is only dumb when you do not know and then do not ask.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kercha! I see you're from Kentucky. Our fish and wildlife folks put out bunches of stake beds in Kentucky reservoirs. A good example is Kentucky and Barkley where most every cove and bay will have one or more stake beds marked by either a white PVC pipe or a buoy. At times these "attractors," as they are called, can get you right in a hurry by dipping a minnow or jig down into the stakes. There are also a lot of unmarked stake beds that can be found with sonar.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I want to thank all of you guys for the helpful info.

Post Thanks / Like

If only Kentucky lake and Barkley wasn't so far I would like to go there a lot more. I live in Louisville KY and it took me almost 3 hours to get to Kentucky lake.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjohn View Post
    Hey Kercha! I see you're from Kentucky. Our fish and wildlife folks put out bunches of stake beds in Kentucky reservoirs. A good example is Kentucky and Barkley where most every cove and bay will have one or more stake beds marked by either a white PVC pipe or a buoy. At times these "attractors," as they are called, can get you right in a hurry by dipping a minnow or jig down into the stakes. There are also a lot of unmarked stake beds that can be found with sonar.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Welcome from Alabama. You will find people here ready to answer all of your questions. This is a teaching website...hence no question is a dumb question. It is only dumb when you do not know and then do not ask.
    i was taught many years ago that you have to ask otherwise you will not know even if you think you know it all

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think that if the stake beds are marked with bouy or pvc pipe that these locations will be over fished by a lot of fisherman?
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjohn View Post

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    Do you think that if the stake beds are marked with bouy or pvc pipe that these locations will be over fished by a lot of fisherman?
    No, the stake beds and other marked fish attractors don't appear to get overfished.