Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Saturday Night & My Green Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday Night & My Green Light

Well the wife and I went out Saturday night and as her usual she quit on me about 11 so we only fished about 2 1/2 hours. We did manage to catch a few nice ones and a few Yellow Bass and a couple of catfish (only kept one cat). We threw back probably 8-10 crappie and 3 yellow bass and 2 catfish. Jigs (Black/Pink) and minnows was the bait. The wife only put 1 or 2 fish in the box, but I did appreciate her company until she wanted to go in, LOL!

Also I had so many shad swimming around my boat in this huge circle that extended the full length of my boat and maybe more. We even hooked (on accident) a couple of shad wile lifting our line up a little wile fishing about 12'-14' in 31' of water.

This was a new spot to me and had no brush under my boat, just tied up just on the edge of a creek that passes around this little hill top under water. I have in mind really getting after this spot with several techniques including maybe some crank baits or small sinking jerk baits.

Nothing special but here are a couple pictures (smallest crappie is 10 1/2")...
    Attachment 6095

Attachment 6096
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

some nice crappie
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, the shame of it is they really had not been biting very well yet at all and I felt they would turn on later. Oh well, I know going in that she will not want to stay out all that long.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Any fish that look like that are always special. I also tried the green light this past Saturday but did not do good as you did. How far down did you sink the light? The Lake I fished was also very stained.The only thing the light attracted were lots of minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    Any fish that look like that are always special. I also tried the green light this past Saturday but did not do good as you did. How far down did you sink the light? The Lake I fished was also very stained.The only thing the light attracted were lots of minnows.
    Keep in mind my light is about 30" long and about 2" dia. and I have it about 1'-1 1/2' deep and it's weighted. I have used it quite a few times starting year before last. I have also used the Starfire II lights, but I like the green one better. It has always done me pretty well.

Last year I started using the Starfire II to see if they brought in more bait and fish, but I don't think they do. I can't describe the bait fish around my boat and do it justice, it's unreal.

Also I picked this spot (even though it's new to me) that has a creek going around a underwater hill top and didn't even have brush under me. I think this spot has the ability to even be much better with a little looking around it.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

nice catch for a short trip
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

A very nice catch, now I am going to have to call in sick.. Thanks for the very nice Pic...
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking catch Skip, I'm still trying to get this night fishing thing figured out for my lake. Stained and relatively shallow except for the 35 foot river channel.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    Nice looking catch Skip, I'm still trying to get this night fishing thing figured out for my lake. Stained and relatively shallow except for the 35 foot river channel.
    slabbandit, I would set up on the edge of the river channel right on the drop off. Look for fish & bait fish on your sonar and set up near them. You may need some structure near or around where you set up and if none is there put in a brush pile or a bucket of bamboo with Quickcrete in it. If you have grass and wood structure then just fish near or over it.

Set you light or lights and start fishing about 10'-12' deep or if you see fishing suspended at a depth fish at that depth or just above it. I normally find the fish 10'-14' deep, but at times you have to fish 18'-20' deep.

After a little wile the bait fish should start showing up and for sure in a hour or so. Soon after if not before you should start getting bit.

Good Luck and hope this helps,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer