Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for building

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideas for building

A minnow tank.... Who all has done this? I have to drive 25 minutes to get minnows. Thinking about just stocking them.

Post Thanks / Like

Find, get, buy a 32 gal plastic drum, clean it really good. Go to Walmart, buy Tetra FS3060 Power Filter: Fish : Walmart.com, then buy an aerator (Basspro...key words...110V Air Bubbles Aerator System. If you use chlorinated tap water, run the filter system for four or five days to get rid of all the chlorine. Then put in your minnows nd check them every few days to weed out the dead ones. Some will die but I've had mine for 6 weeks now.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice. I might add; that since chlorine is a gas, it will automatically evaporate within 24 hours. If chlorine is a problem, get a RV water filter from WalMart. Removes chlorine as well as a host of other checicals and heavy metal.

Post Thanks / Like

55 gallon clean good for feed buckets etc $5 each call 931-535-3436

Post Thanks / Like

I keep minnows for 2 to 3 weeks, I bought a couple 15 gal totes from walmart, I'm sure they are rated in quarts or something, I put 10 gals of water in each one and a teaspoon of the starter stuff to get the chlorine out of it, I use an air pump that is sold for tropical fish tanks and a bubble stone... Other than in the heat of the summer they work fine, they don't seem to last long when its july/august but other than that I seldom lose many... I would rather buy the minnows when I need them but there is not a reliable source close, one place here sells them but you can't count on him being there/having them when you need them, keeping minnows is a bit of a hassle but at least you have them when you want them.

Post Thanks / Like

I took a 5 -7 gallon round orange insulated,WATER Cooler got at Walmart $30 and put in a stabil aerator along with a couple drops of chlorine remover you can get at bass pro, freeze a liter bottle with water ,drop in with minnows, take along on the boat the stabill aerator will hook to your boat battery and run using little or no power ,then dip out only a few,into a small minnow bucket, any left over take home and they will last for weeks, changing out the water every couple weeks. Holds 15-20 dozen no problem. Total cost less than $65, Been using it for years.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the thread "My minnow tank" a little further down.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Old 100 qt igloo cooler from garage sale went to wally world got a 20 gal fish tank filter and added coulpe air pumps works very well i had over a pound of minys in it at any time i change out 10 to 15 gal water once or twice a week i use better bait in water and feed them instant potato flakes also i run filter on a timer for 20 min twice aday so water doesnt heat up from filter
    Last edited by smokercraft; 01-21-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two 55 gal. drums with aerators. I keep 15-20lbs minnows no problem until summer.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Where does everybody buy there minnows from? Off a truck or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast