Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Homemade green fishing light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homemade green fishing light

Name:  IMAG1034.jpg
Views: 3995
Size:  50.7 KBI started at home Depot, picking up two fluorescent bulb protectors, 4 ft'ers. I cut one in half to make up two - two ft'ers to see if it is going to work.Name:  IMAG1035.jpg
Views: 3646
Size:  22.0 KBThey should have two inserts per tube.Name:  IMAG1036.jpg
Views: 3575
Size:  29.3 KBYou'll need the LED strips from Amazon.com (pictured below), 5 meters (16.4 ft) at a cost of about $15.00. I cut my strip to about four ft and doubled it in the tube, running the wires out the end and taping them out of the way. I also dipped the end of the LED strip in plastic dip to seal them in case any water gets in the tube. I glued the end cap in with rubber cement and let it dry.

I then dipped the end of the tube in plastic dip and let it dry. This took some time between dryings, and I dipped it three times.

Then I added a one lb lead ingot inside the tube, glued the end cap in place, let it dry, then did the three dip job again. This is what the end product looks like, not professional, but it seems to work OK.Name:  IMAG1047(1).jpg
Views: 4537
Size:  64.5 KB

It lights up very nicely and there is very little battery draw and no heat. I will add a 10 ft length of Name:  IMAG1048.jpg
Views: 4940
Size:  25.3 KBwiring, tape each end to the outside of the tube along with a corresponding length of parachute cord or similar diameter nylon rope and attach a male end of a cigarette lighter cord to the wires and use my double receptacle outlets for power. Sometime this summer, I'll get out night fishing and let you know if they work, as in stay lit up. I will probably make up a white one next as I have heard differing opinions as to which color seems to work best for drawing baitfish in.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by mervin; 01-18-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What LED strip did you use, I see a 300 led for 5 meters and a 600 led for 5 meters or 16.4 ft.

Post Thanks / Like

They look good, nice work.
    Balzout Mounts

Post Thanks / Like

HitLights LED Flexible Lighting Strip Cool White or Bright White, 5 Meter or 16 Ft, 3528 Type, 300 SMD, 24 Watt

by HitLights

Post Thanks / Like

Good job! that is just another good rainy day project for me. Great presentation!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are similar to what Bob #1 used to produce. Nice job.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Really cool! Thanks