Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Arkansas Bait Fish-- Best place to buy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arkansas Bait Fish-- Best place to buy

Which Arkansas farm is the best to buy from for the home minnow raising operation. Dont want to over buy and dont want to pay a fortune for "smaller" orders. Maybe buy 1-2 lbs at a time. If I knew a truck was in my area I would try to hook up with him instead of having shipped

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check with your local bait shop. They'll be able to tell when the delivery truck comes by. Most trucks operate on a fixed schedule.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about that. Just dont know if they will disclose info that will actually be taking business from them. Many many years ago, i owned a bait/tackle store and had shiners delivered but for the life of me I cannot remember who I bought from. Was a 1 ton truck with tanks on bed

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

PM sent.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I buy my minnows by the pound at the local bait shop and keep them at home. (see "homade minnow tank") There are about 15 dozen medium tuffies in a pound. If you use shiners there will be less of course. The bait shop guys use minnows as a "lost leader" to get you in the bait shop to buy other things that they mark up considerably. That is why they don't count too carefully when they dish them out. Buying by the pound will cut your bait cost in half if you can keep them alive. By the time you run down a minnow farm that will do business with you and spent the time and gass to go there you will probally lose money or break even. Plus the bait shop guys that you rely on for so many other things could really use the money. I took me loosing several bait shops in my area (Goodlettsville TN) to relize that we as fishermen are hurting these folks by trying to save 25 cents by going on line to shop or driving across town to the big mega sports stores. We all need to save money, trust me I know but we also need to support our local bait shops. "THe Bait Shop" in Hendersonville, TN was opened in 1958, the year after Old Hickory Lake was backed up. They colsed there doors this December of 2012 because they could not afford a higher lease. I really wish we had shopped there more often. Maybe they would still be open.