Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HB798 snapshot & question

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HB798 snapshot & question

The screen color was Brown & I would like your analysis on where the white dots are with reference to the bottom. Any other details are appreciated. I am a little confused as to what I am seeing.

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna guess that the white dots are fish suspended just high enough off the bottom that it makes their shadows hard to pick out...

Looks like a few fish hanging right in the brush top also...(these echoes look more yellow than white but I think they are still fish)...

I'm curious about the stair step pattern in the left SI ....

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Not so sure that those white dots are fish. They could be a stronger Si sonar return from some rocks or other type of a hard bottom. They almost look too white to be Si sonar returns from fish and not leave some sort of a shadow.

I was wondering about the step pattern on the left side as well. Edge of a creek or river channel?
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Humminbird_Greg View Post
    Not so sure that those white dots are fish. They could be a stronger Si sonar return from some rocks or other type of a hard bottom. They almost look too white to be Si sonar returns from fish and not leave some sort of a shadow.

I was wondering about the step pattern on the left side as well. Edge of a creek or river channel?
    I think I agree with you Greg. I believe they are the bright spots on the tops of rocks or hard brush. Notice the way they follow the shape of the bottom.

Don, can you tell us about the lake and did you throw anything to see what the bottom felt like?

Maybe also there is a little of the stepping effect visible on the lower right side of the SI.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I think I agree with you Greg. I believe they are the bright spots on the tops of rocks or hard brush. Notice the way they follow the shape of the bottom.

Don, can you tell us about the lake and did you throw anything to see what the bottom felt like?

Maybe also there is a little of the stepping effect visible on the lower right side of the SI.
    I was entering the mouth of a creek.With my SI distance of 50' I am sure that I could not reach the bank on either side. As I was entering the creek I was making a slight bend to the left. My TD is on the transom. I don't think I was turning enough for the left side to show distorsion. I did throw a line out way behind the boat but could not tell much about the bottom, neither did I hang up in the brush than is shown. I am in agreement that the white dots are not fish.

Thanks for the help
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Don,a great pic on 798,my guess is right side is toward bank ,going upward and left side bottom is slopping down ,and that those are scattered small rocks. I don't think that fish would have showed up that well out of water colum on that bottom at that depth that bright, wish that you would have manified that spot, don ,we will be heading back home sat,we had a ball and caught lots of fish many over 2 lbs,did you see some of the post on fla board? By anchorman,vic.
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Nice and clear pics. Could those bright spots be beer cans or similar causing the bright return. The stair step section wouldn't be manmade like infront of a house on the lake?

Post Thanks / Like

The bright spots could be beer cans or something else that is reflecting a lot of sonar. Typically something hard and dense like rock.

I’ve seen that same stair-step pattern in sand but it has usually been shallower. I’m guessing that it was made by wave action when the water was lower but could it also be made by underwater currents?
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Humminbird_Greg View Post
    The bright spots could be beer cans or something else that is reflecting a lot of sonar. Typically something hard and dense like rock.
    i like the beer can theory,but it needs farther research i think that ill have to start drinking more beer and leave the cans in the lake.( just for research purpose only tho.........)

Post Thanks / Like

I've wondered the same thing. Also, why only showing on one side? I've got many screenshot of the same area, and the right side is always the one showing stronger returns. Name:  S00114.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  19.6 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast