Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xpress boat owners.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Xpress boat owners.

I have a few questions for all current Xpress owners and past owners. I am thinking about purchasing a new Xpress X19 with a 150 or a H20 with a 150 when I return home from deployement in June and would like some feedback on these boats. How well do these boats handle in rough water? Do some of you wish that you would have purchased a fiberglass instead? How much does the wind push these boats around while fishing? And last, are there any problems with these boats I should know about? Thank you all in advance for your input.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck with your decision. I went through the same thing just recently, trying to decide to go with Fiberglass or Aluminum. I went with a Lowe Stinger 17 HP. It supposed to be done in the next week. I ordered it out before Christmas.

Dan

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

SYG go to the BBC board and ask over there to. Those bass guys fish a lot of them. Go to the MS off topic contact BigRiverMarine. He is a dealer and gives CDC members a pretty good break on boats. Get him to email you pics of the new demo he just put together.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 22' express that i duckhunt/fish out of. if i was buying a boat for only fishing i would go with fiberglass. i have had 2 ranger bass boats and alum.is not even close to fiberglass for boat control and running rough water.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as aluminum boats go, Xpress are great boats. I had a 2000 X70 (roughly an 18.5 ft boat) for several years. The wind pushed it around quite a bit and that is my only real complaint about the boat. I had it in some really rough water, as I fish Eufaula in Oklahoma mostly, and was never worried about it. It took big waves fine, just wasn't near as smooth of a ride as most glass boats. It was a relatively dry ride though. I am not rough on my boats but it definitely got its use and never gave me any trouble. In fact, in the 7 years I owned it, all I ever had to do was replace the livewell pump and the fuel gauge.

All in all, I loved it. An X19 with a 150 is a great boat. If you decide to go that route, just be prepared to stay on the trolling motor. The thing about the design is that a. they have a lot of area to catch the wind and b. they don't have a lot of hull in the water so they are easily pushed around.

Bottom line is that aluminum boats and glass boats both have advantages. The hard part is figuring out which one fits you best. Honestly, I wish I could afford to have one of each! Good luck in choosing.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I have alot of thinking to do, good thing I have 4 months to decide on which route I want to take. Right before I left for deployement I sold my 1860 Tracker Grizzly which in my opinion was a terrible fishing platform. Just need to figure out what I want, its hard though, lol......

Post Thanks / Like

SYG: I had an H51 from 2007 to 2010, got the itch for a bigger boat and bought a used glass Ranger, kept it 18 months and sold it in August last year and ordered a H18B in camo/rhino liner floor. The Ranger was good, but it didn't seem to be that much better in the wind for me. Granted, mine was just an 18.5 footer, but I guess I was expecting more. For me, I do a lot more than just crappie fish. I noodle a lot in the summer, duck hunt some in the winter, family jug fishing trips, ect. Between the carpet, glossy finish, and fear of hitting something, I went to the lake with my ranger less than ever before. I decided I'd rather have a more multipurpose boat to suit my needs. So far, I love the H18B. I wanted a center console, loved the fact that is was wider than a lot of 18 foot boats, loved the side seats built-in to the back deck on either side of leaning post (my kids are young (2&4). Just wash out the inside and outside when it gets dirty. So much easier to tow than glass boat. I got mine with a 90hp (rated for up to 115) and it jumps up on plane and tops out around 43mph. Very dry ride. You do get more "chop" running across lake.
    Anyway, just like winger said above, it's all about your wants and needs. I tried both, aluminum is my choice now. I'd look at both, fish with some guys with both, and make your decision based on your needs. If I can answer any questions or share any pics with you, just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Xpress boat owners.

Love them Xpress boats. I spider rig out if them all the time, and the wind isn't a factor for me. Lighter than a glass boat, but the finest tin boat on the market, BAR NONE!!!
    This my New Demo. It's the new H20PFC with a 200 SHO Yamaha on it that I had Xpress build for me. It is a production model now, but won't hit the catalog till 2014. I'm supposed to do a photo shoot in it this spring for the online catalog!!!! IF I don't sell it. The response has been tremendous!!!!

BTW, they will get shallow too!!!
    We picked up a buddy of mine that got stuck on a mud flat in 3" of water. He's only knee deep, and half of that is him sinking in the mud. We were in less than a foot of water. Another guy in a Ranger couldn't reach him!!!!! This boat only had 1 hour on it, but I couldn't let him spend the night there freezing!!! Lol

Big River Marine
    Bill Burnett
    870-635-0202

We sell XPRESS, EXCEL, and ALWELD Boats. Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude, Mud Buddy, and Tohatsu/Nissan Engines.
    Pro Staff, Southern Pro Tackle and Ozark Rods.
    Member, Tri-State Crappie Anglers
    Last edited by BigRiverMarine; 01-17-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Bill, thanks for sharing the photos and giving me the quotes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    SYG: I had an H51 from 2007 to 2010, got the itch for a bigger boat and bought a used glass Ranger, kept it 18 months and sold it in August last year and ordered a H18B in camo/rhino liner floor. The Ranger was good, but it didn't seem to be that much better in the wind for me. Granted, mine was just an 18.5 footer, but I guess I was expecting more. For me, I do a lot more than just crappie fish. I noodle a lot in the summer, duck hunt some in the winter, family jug fishing trips, ect. Between the carpet, glossy finish, and fear of hitting something, I went to the lake with my ranger less than ever before. I decided I'd rather have a more multipurpose boat to suit my needs. So far, I love the H18B. I wanted a center console, loved the fact that is was wider than a lot of 18 foot boats, loved the side seats built-in to the back deck on either side of leaning post (my kids are young (2&4). Just wash out the inside and outside when it gets dirty. So much easier to tow than glass boat. I got mine with a 90hp (rated for up to 115) and it jumps up on plane and tops out around 43mph. Very dry ride. You do get more "chop" running across lake.
    Anyway, just like winger said above, it's all about your wants and needs. I tried both, aluminum is my choice now. I'd look at both, fish with some guys with both, and make your decision based on your needs. If I can answer any questions or share any pics with you, just let me know.
    I will also get the duck boat package if I purchase a Xpress. I did a lot of duck hunting before I joined the Navy and will probably get back into it when I return home to SC in a year. I got a quote on then x19 and h18 earlier today from Mr. Bill (BigRiverMarine) with the duck boat package and the quotes were cheaper than anywhere else I have looked so far. The main lake I will be fishing back in SC will be Santee Cooper so after I get my limit in crappie I may decide to bust out the catfish rods and try and catch a few of the fish that the lake is renowned for and carpet would be a killer when landing a catfish. I think I have my mind made up just wanted a few opinions from some people that own a Xpress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast