Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Another Question on Line Counter Reels????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Question on Line Counter Reels????

Do all the linecounter reels also count the line coming back in? For example if you have 100' of line out if you need to reel line in to 50' does the line counter count down from 100 to 50. Or do you have to reel it all in and let it back out to 50'. Oh yeah and maybe a dumb question but does the line counter work if you cast out instead of let the line out. Any body use the Cabela's Depth Master Gold DMG15? How much does she weigh? And are there any left hand model reels. Know it is a lot of questions but I need all the info I can get because these suckers ain't cheap!!!!
    YOU ARE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM....OR PART OF THE SOLUTION!! CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

Good question crappiedog. I would like to hear from a few who troll and use line counter reels. I am a spider rigger who wants to join in the with the crankbait draggers sometime. Let's hear about the gear some of you use.

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the okuma line counter reels the will count the line as you reel in
    as far as casting i dont do it it let the line out by hand.
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

crappie dog, I have a Cabela's 25 minutes away:D, so I got to look at all the reels. I started pulling cranks just about a year ago so I'm no expert,,,yet!!:p I chose the Diawa AD17LC reel over the Cabela's DM20. The Diawa reel is smaller and lighter. It was only $10 more. I have been quite satisfied with them. The line counter reverses when reeling in. I'm not sure if you could cast them or should want to. Not even sure if they come in left-hand. I spooled them up with Power Pro line in the 6lb size. I add a swivel and a 2ft leader with 15lb mono. I have been pulling Cabela's deep diver 'Grave Diggers' and 300 "Bandits". Both these baits have produced well. I'm running 1.5 to 1.8mph(GPS) with 50 to 120ft line out. I'll also add a 1/4oz bullit weight to make them run deeper at times. I have been amazed just how well this works. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, what the other guys said on counting back in, SG17LCA Daiwa
    is what I've got. Only thing I'm not real keen on is they make a clicking
    sound when you're reeling in, reminds me of fishing with the old 300 Mitchell
    spinning reels when I was a kid. clickety-clickety. But I've about got used to
    it again I guess. I do cast them out 30-40 feet then let out the rest,
    not sure if I should be, but so far it doesn't seem to be bothering them.
    I do try to just sort of "lob" it out without a lot of spool rpms - sort of like
    you'd throw if you were trying not to sling off a minnow - not like I'd know
    anything about minners :D Oh, I did try to really zing one out a few times,
    backlash city - but then I haven't cast in so long it could be that my thumb
    has lost it's "education"
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on what J said.Line counters arent for casting.Ive got where I can lob on maybe 50 feet or so, but if you try to sling'em its professional over ride(backlash)LOL.One thing you'll want to do is make sure you feel your reel completely full.That will give you the most accurate measurement.When we work together with other teams on the walleye circuit when we compare notes at night, well all lay our counters out and actually measure and calibrate our reels to make sure all our rods let out the same amount of line.
    If I confused you, what I mean to say is just because the counter says 20 feet doesnt mean theres actually 20 feet of line out.Could be more could be less, so when precision is needed there's another little tip to keep in mind.
    Hey Chatt you still running your Lund?PJ

Post Thanks / Like

prchjerker. Lund was sold in 2000. Got crazy and bought a jet boat. :D VERY fun boat and no place was off limits. Could go in 6in of water. I now have a Alumacraft Bay Invader. Center console, 19 1/2 ft with a 150hp Optimax. Will run 55mph and is one of the best fuel savers I have ever used. Haven't been up to Rathbun in years but did like the lake. It is a lot like Perry here. J. White, I hate the click but my reels have a switch to stop it. I do set my drags loose so when the cranks snag (and they will) it doesn't break off. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie dog
    Do all the linecounter reels also count the line coming back in? For example if you have 100' of line out if you need to reel line in to 50' does the line counter count down from 100 to 50. Or do you have to reel it all in and let it back out to 50'. Oh yeah and maybe a dumb question but does the line counter work if you cast out instead of let the line out. Any body use the Cabela's Depth Master Gold DMG15? How much does she weigh? And are there any left hand model reels. Know it is a lot of questions but I need all the info I can get because these suckers ain't cheap!!!!

Yes, they "count" backwards when retrieving line. Yes, they work when casting. Yes, I use the Cabelas depthmasters (the original not the gold) on my large catfishing outfits. As far as left handed versions for specific models ask the manufacturer not us. The weight depends on the size reel you get. I picked mine up many years ago on a 2 for 1 price bargain cave deal. They work ok, pulled in plenty of cats over 30 lbs with them, but they are at about the end of their lifespan. On one the bait clicker barley works and the another one the lever drag system is failing. For roughly $20 a piece though they have served me well.
    Last edited by itallushrt; 07-25-2006 at 09:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prchjerker
    Ditto on what J said.Line counters arent for casting.Ive got where I can lob on maybe 50 feet or so, but if you try to sling'em its professional over ride(backlash)LOL.One thing you'll want to do is make sure you feel your reel completely full.That will give you the most accurate measurement.When we work together with other teams on the walleye circuit when we compare notes at night, well all lay our counters out and actually measure and calibrate our reels to make sure all our rods let out the same amount of line.
    If I confused you, what I mean to say is just because the counter says 20 feet doesnt mean theres actually 20 feet of line out.Could be more could be less, so when precision is needed there's another little tip to keep in mind.
    Hey Chatt you still running your Lund?PJ

There is no need to lay out 200 Yards of line to determine if the counter is accurate. In your hands, attached to your reel, is a rod. 99% of the time on that rod there will be the length of the rod printed. Use the rod as your reference. It's no different that using the rod length to determine slip bobber depth, etc.

As far as not being for casting?? It's just a baitcaster with a line counter on it. No different than any other baitcaster out there.