Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiller motor trouble need advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tiller motor trouble need advice.

Before I spend 95 bucks an hour for someone to look at my 97 Nissan 30hp tiller is there anyone on here who works on two strokes that can lend an ear. Is there any way my motor can run hot if it's peeing water. Was out fishing and motor started loosing power. I took cover off motor and it felt hot. Could not get it to start again right away. Tried it again a month later it started but quickly did the same as last time. Lost power and cut its self off. I think I may have warped the head worst case scenario or maybe it's the thermostat. Any help would be great.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When is the last time you replaced the impeller? You can have water coming out the hose but not the volume needed to cool the motor. And yes it could be the thermostat.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

if it looses power to the point of shutting down there is prob some serious damage to pistons, bearings.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be a easy fix,all motors feel hot when running,check your air vent at the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser4ever View Post
    Before I spend 95 bucks an hour for someone to look at my 97 Nissan 30hp tiller is there anyone on here who works on two strokes that can lend an ear. Is there any way my motor can run hot if it's peeing water. Was out fishing and motor started loosing power. I took cover off motor and it felt hot. Could not get it to start again right away. Tried it again a month later it started but quickly did the same as last time. Lost power and cut its self off. I think I may have warped the head worst case scenario or maybe it's the thermostat. Any help would be great.
    It will run without peeing water, but you shouldn't let it. It could be as simple as a impellar or water pump. If you've ran it without the water discharge, you could have some serious issues now.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

The motor has not stopped peeing water at all. Not even when it shut down the second time I ran it. How do I change the impeller? My mechanical skills are limited on outboards.

Post Thanks / Like

Next time when it 'seems' hot. Put a little water on the head. If it steams, your over heating for sure.
    If not, theres another problem which sounds to me like fuel. I've got some experience with 2 strokers so lets first omit the over heat theory.
    Last edited by FisherMike; 01-16-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Guy named ArcherGuy (?) Might be along. Think he is a marine mechanic. Have you ever got the motor in or stuck in mud??may have clogged water passage way causing lower water flow
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Just PM ArcherGuy

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the post guys. Its never been in the mud but I did run it in some sand the first day it shut down on me. But it didn't stop flowing water. I guess I need to figure out how to change the impeller and how to see if it's clogged in the intake somehow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast