Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help with Tournament

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Tournament

Hey folks, I am going to try and keep this short as possible! I have a friend that has a child with cancer. They are an amazing family and work hard at raising money for Childrens Hospital Oncology to help other children fighting cancer. Their son "Tanner" will have to take treatments until 2014 and doesn't get to get out much due to his immune system! I spend alot of money on crappie fishing but never really had the opportunity to help someone other than a fishing trip...well I woke up in the middle of the night with a desire to get involved and help! I feel led to put on a crappie tournament to help "Team Tanner" with raising money for cancer! They are currently selling "Team Tanner" shirts and bracelets to raise money but I feel I can help even more with a crappie tournament! I have never done anything like this and don't know what all is involved in putting on a tournament and I need some help! I called Tanners mom, Ashley this morning for permission and tell her what was on my heart and she just cried.....her heart is to help others! I have already had several come forward willing to make calls and get things going but I need help! I don't have scales to weigh or anything for a tournament but I have a heart to work to see this happen! My questions and ideas are....a Saturday tournament on Neely Henry and Weiss with a weigh in somewhere between? May be better to stick to one lake? Date would be determined after I find out other crappie tournament dates on Feb. 2...hopefully a saturday around end of March! I need contacts for sponsors that might would help in things to give away as prizes and such "anything would be appreciated"as I would want to make it worth folks coming to fish this! How much should I make the entry fee? and I don't know how much should go to pay out verses childrens cancer? I really need some wisdom and folks that can help make this happen! If anyone wants to get involved or knows someone I need to contact please let me know on here! I am asking all on crappie.com that can help to make a diiference in the life of a child fighting cancer and their families to do so if at all possible.....Thanks and God Bless!

Here is a pic of Tanner...... his Mom has a facebook page called "Team Tanner" if you want to follow him!
    Name:  Tanner.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  42.8 KB

And here is the whole family!

Name:  575147_10200098403208764_364829076_n.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  42.1 KB
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

I live to far to help with the tournament, but if you will pm an address I'll send door prizes or however you would use them.

Peace in Persecution

Crappiedoc
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

sent pm

Post Thanks / Like

I have been involved as a helper in a bass tournament for the cancer society for the last 5 years and there is a lot of work involved but it is worth it.

When you get a date set go to all of the merchants in the area and explain what you are doing and what you need. Car dealerships have been great
    to us for cash donations, but try everyone close by. You need to come up with about 4 of 5 good helpers at the weigh in before you get started.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Call BnM ... speak directly with Jack Wells ... tell him you are a Crappie.com member and all about your tournament idea & the reason behind your plans ... ask him if he would sponsor your tournament with some "donations".
    Check with the other site sponsors, and the members that custom make fishing products.

I'd set it for one lake, to minimize travel/expenses for participants. Set a limit of X number of fish that can be weighed in, and charge an entry fee PER BOAT. Use the entry fee $$ for the cause, and the sponsor's products as "pay out". This IS a charity situation, so monetary profit from winning/placing in the event should not be an issue. Knowing that, from the start, insures the participants that they are doing something for a good cause, but will still be "winning" something in the way of prizes for their efforts.
    If you wanted to, and had enough volunteers to bring the necessary items ... you could also "award" the participants with a fish fry meal. Otherwise, you could have the participants keep their catch, or return them to the water.
    You will also need a list of rules, possibly a permit to have the tournament, and a sign-up sheet that excludes you from any liability in the case of accidents or mishaps.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be more than happy to send you something for a raffle/door prize and will talk to the Ozark rod folks and see about a donation to help out as well.As far as the tournament thing goes pappy makes some very good points and i'd guess folks in your area would be more than happy with his suggestions as long as the word got out about the reason behind the tournament.Feel free to give me a call 573-569-3676 so we can discuss what you might need.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks crappiepappy...thats the advice I needed! Thank all you for getting involved and I am praying lots more will join in and donate. I have a whole youth group wanting involved in helping and excited.....most never even been crappie fishing but asked could anybody fish it! I got to see Tanners Mom last night and told her some of the response I was getting on this board within just a few hours and she was overwhelmed with joy! Keep it coming and Thanks!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

Give yourself a little time, it will allow for more sponsors and anglers. Maybe even put up some posts here on the different tournament threads. It's been my experience that the little guys who support our industry are honestly the greatest sponsors, highlight their efforts and more will follow.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat