PDA

View Full Version : Tite-LokŪ Black Widow Rod holder Problem.

Cincinnati
07-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi Guys!

I recently attempted to use the above listed pole holders...for a total of
two hours trolling roadrunners, And I came away totally unsatisfied with
the quality.

Note: The base, and rod holders at the top work great!

The inner adjustment (rod / pole) failes to keep the top unit pointing in
a constant desired direction. It twists, and turns; no matter how much
I retighten it. And it's virtually impossible to keep the tubing that surrounds
the the (rod / pole) from rattling.

Since I live 5 minutes away from the BPS in Cincy - I could take it back,
at ($70 +) but, I am embarressed at how the whole set up looks after trying
to repeatidly, retightening everything. It lookes like I've used it for 10 years!

"Sorry to be a pain guys, but I called it, as I saw it!"

"Gloves up!"
Rick.

izzysfishin
07-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I bought 2 sets, but have'nt mounted them yet. I did take them out of the packaging (a chore in itself) and assembled them. I was wondering about the pole set-up, it looked like it could be a problem. They offer a pro pole system that looks alot sturdier but i think i'll make my own. Again thanks for the warning...izzy

Barnacle Bill
07-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I use the Black Widow Ultras and had to put external star washers under the thumb screws. Tried internal first but they didn't work. Now they stay tight.

abarkley
07-22-2006, 07:53 PM
i bought two pair myself and have been using them for about 2 years now and like them ok for trolling road runners, but i also have had to make some adjustments too. i replaced the mounting pole with some 3/4 aluminum rod to make it more sturdy. that crap they sent as a mounting pole was just too flimsy and noisy for me. i thought it was kind of unfair to have to pay 85 bucks a set for these things and then have to make upgrades to make them fishable, but i liked the holder design so i kept them. if i had to do over again, i'd probably buy a couple sets from call shy or the driftmasters.

Big George
07-23-2006, 03:52 AM
If you are totally dissatisfiyed call Karri at titelok and tell her the problem and most likley she will have a idea as what to do she is very friendly and knowledable she is in charge of the marine stuff. She is there to help us crappie men out with any problem as she knows we are the bread and butter of her buisness

tarheel
07-23-2006, 05:08 AM
I had the same problem then I realized that the vertical pole is not a full circle. It has one spot that is flat along one wall. Be sure to tighten the base screw there and it should work. As far as the noise thing goes...... you are right.

tim
07-23-2006, 09:57 AM
I am going to take mine back to bp and order the heavy duty one.

Big George
07-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Hey Tim I suggest the 5841 type with quick relaease left and rights they are the very top of titelok:eek:

tim
07-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Hey bg where can i order them from i dont see them in the catalogs I would buy some of those.

frank lawhead
07-23-2006, 07:01 PM
I Think Grizzly Jigs.com Has Them---also Capt.garys .com

pulplip fiction
07-23-2006, 08:54 PM
I use the Black Widow with the sturdy base and it's fine. Richard Williams advised me to take the washers out so it would stay situated - I did and it works even better. Also see where Tite-Lok has a newer version out.

crappiencali
07-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Have any of you guys tried the Perotti Built rod holders? My partner has two sets and they work great. I plan on getting some when I get my next boat. I believe Wade has them at Grizzley jigs.

jfraley
07-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I made my own and I used set pins that go into holes instead of their special washer. I have been very satified with them. I am in the process of pricing everything out to see if I could make them inexpensive enough to sell.

ShilohRed
07-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Check these out, http://www.hitekstuff.com/ I like them and there well built.
Pete