Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ED, how bout a VoIP room?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ED, how bout a VoIP room?

Could log on via your web and let the Moderators run the room (lock and unlock the room at their convience cetrain times and days. Just a thought.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we do have a chat room, which I think is underutilized. VoIP is pretty bandwidth intensive. Do you have any particular software in mind?

I actually do VoIP for my telephone lines. I pay nothing extra for long distance calls to anywhere in the states and Canada. And it's like 3 cents a minute to europe! kewl
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Roger Wilco works good. Team Speak also works great. These two programs have been used by the online gaming community for over 7 years now. You can get up to 8 people on line chatting in real time. More could be added but if you get too many people it gets very confusing.

These programs work well.

Quote Originally Posted by edhead
    Well, we do have a chat room, which I think is underutilized. VoIP is pretty bandwidth intensive. Do you have any particular software in mind?

I actually do VoIP for my telephone lines. I pay nothing extra for long distance calls to anywhere in the states and Canada. And it's like 3 cents a minute to europe! kewl
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I have checked chat room from time to time (not veryfrequently) and never found anybody in there. Would be nice if we knew that somebody was going to be there at a specific time. An old chat room that is no longer in existence was great(bass fishing) where made several new friends that still keep in touch with after 5 years.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Ed:

To run the Roger Wilco Server all you need to do is install the free software and then post the IP address of the server. We had guys that I talked to all the time over the internet that had access to University Servers were they worked in Montreal Canada. They installed the Roger Wilco software on their server and gave the SQUAD MEMBERS the IP addess and the Password.

I have not used TeamSpeak but have heard good things about it.

I used Roger Wilco to talk to my online buddies in real time when I played online games. We had to have instant communications as were were playing a flight simulator dogfighing wwii game that required coordiantion between the different virtual pilots. At times we had 100 people online at the same time playing the same WWII Fight Simulator Game and had different sides talking to their members at the same time.

Not sure what the cost would be or if it would be utilized.

But guys if you all want to talk to one another for free just go get the Roger Wilco Software and load it on your computer. If both parties have the software then all you have to do is give each other the IP address of your computer and then you can talk to each other. You need to get a good microphone/headset to make this really work. But you can pick these up at Best Buy or Wal-Mart for under 15 bucks.

I was using Voice Over Internet Protocal in 1997 well before it became popular to the masses. Some things are kept secrete from the mass and this is one of them. I do fear that if everyone starts using this technology that it will clog up the internet. Also the technology is no where near as good a regular telephone. There are many disconnects and the latenecy or lag will interup the conversation. Think of the satellite Camera's and microphones that they used on the news these days. The picture is blury and choppy and the sound is choppy at times also. That is caused by the time delay or Lag. This is even worse at times in the VOIP connections. Many times you will have to reconnect to the server and it's almost impossible to carry on a coversation with anyone if there are more than 2 people using the system. Not unless they are military types that know the proper protocal to use when using Radios. Roger Wilco Over and Out!

Do a web search for the term "ROGER WILCO" and include the quotes when you type in the name in your address bar of your brower.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

One way to get more people into chat room is have a guest speaker. SOmeone with lots of knowledge, posted a week or so in advance as to what time they will be there. THen people can go and ask them questions.

Post Thanks / Like

H***, i nominate Moose. I think alot of people would like to pick his brain as long as they have had plenty of sleep and don't doze off.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-02-2004 at 08:29 PM. Reason: language

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chat Software

I am always weary of shareware and freeware. I have not used any particular voip programs and cannot recommend any. Most voip stuff will probably give some free trial offers (as you already know). We could try out a few if you are interested. I would be glad to help, and I am sure others would be too. Moose is right. Teamspeak has free client/server software, but I have never tried it.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

A chat room would be great. I would like to chat with several people at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Use the Chat Room

I've been to this site for years, and just a couple years ago, we used to have several people in the chat room at all times, people like Alex, weezer, etc... When you get in there, and no one is available, just stay logged but browse around at other sites until someone pops in. Once you talk to people in there, you'll figure out when they usually gets on, if not, ask them. Let's bring the fun back into the Chat Room again. BTW...Ed, is there a way that you can put names on the side of the chat box, or perhaps even in a box on the message board to show who is in the Chat Room?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast