Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What Float for picky fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Float for picky fish

Hi to all brand new here Lately i've been fishing Chickamauga fishing 5-6 foot deep using Bobby Garland jigs on some days the crappie take the float under But on some days it seems like they only mouth the jig Boats around me continue to catch them but it's slow for me. I know what to look for on those days (any slight movement ) but is there a better float to use on these days been using 3/4 pear also anything else i need to be doing Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chimneyman View Post
    ... on some days the crappie take the float under But on some days it seems like they only mouth the jig ...
    They only mouth the jig a LOT of the time, but most people use floats that won't show it. Get some Thill wagglers from Lindy. Add enough weight so just the tip is showing, and you won't miss bites. I switched to wagglers about fifteen years ago. You just miss too many bites with other floats.

Post Thanks / Like

HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Are you casting or pushing under floats?
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a pear shaped bobber with a stick thru it, don't know if that is what you speak of. I have no problem seeing any movement. Haven't used a waggler but they have a strong following.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

bflowers is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rod-N-Bobb's - View Product - 1-1/2 inch Unweighted Slip Bobber – Orange Unweighted Slip Bobber For Fishing

I started using thes last year and really like the way they work I use them or the wagglers.
    ​COURTESY,LOYALTY,SERVICE, & HONOR

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming that your fishing method is not trolling, or any steady movement of the float/jig rig .... you could use the "waggler" style floats, a "quill" float, or you may want to consider using what the Float-n-Fly anglers use. Their floats are made counterweighted, so that they sit upright when the weight of the jig is suspended under the float ... but, when the fish takes the jig into their mouth & releases the pull of the jig's weight (what's called a "lift bite"), then the float rolls over on its side.

Punisher Lures makes "Bob's Bobbers" for the FnF anglers. It's a counterweighted 1" styrofoam ball shaped float.
    Shipahoy41 also has a custom made version in the "Knots and Rigs" sticky, at the top of this forum, where he's turned a slip float into a "waggler style" float ... and counterweighted some versions.

... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. I am partial to "Waggler" style floats. Other than that I will use a slip float.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I also like a slim body slip float, what I call a river float is similar to those wagglers.
    Couple other factors, techniques to consider. Regardless what float you use, make sure you off-set its bouyancy with enough weight. The goal is to put on enough weight so the float barely stays above the surface. I have had them balanced just so that the float actually sinks ever so slowely. When they are that finicky I use 4 pound mono, and #6 aberden hooks. That usually does the trick.

just for clarification, I put the weight about 18" above the hook.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!