Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Squirrell question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Squirrell question

Sent email to mdc but no reply as of yet. I have a squirrell that appears to have mainge (sp) its back is pretty bare of hair and has what looks to be sores from scratching will it get over this? Can it spread to the rest of his buddies? It does not act like it is killing it or I would. Just do not want to kill it if it will recover.

Post Thanks / Like

I am assuming this is a pet?
    Mange is caused by mites.
    If localized, the problem is likely to resolve itself and disappear spontaneously, which happens in approximately 90 percent of cases. For severe generalized cases, long-term medication may be necessary to control the condition. Lime-sulfur dips to the affected areas may help relieve symptoms. In either case, the general health status of the animal should be evaluated

Post Thanks / Like

Kill it and make squirrel stew with some cat head biscuits! Then you dont have to worry anymore. lol

Post Thanks / Like

pretty common, if ya ain't gonna eat the bushy tailed rat, don't kill it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info mdc contacted me also said usually clears up. Cant stand cleaning them or may eat a few had 12 of them on my deck the other day. I have lots of bird feeders and woods so they are going to win fun to watch just did not want to end up shooting alot of them. There is one I think my wife considers a pet if the feeders they can get to are empty it jumps on the door to make a racket and stands there looking at you like get with it where is the food?