Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These fish are driving me crazy!!I Need Help!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default These fish are driving me crazy!!I Need Help!!!!

Thanks a bunch. Also I was wondering if you could help me out with a crappie question. I Fish guntersville just about every weekend. Fish inside a marina. (vertical fishing) Well 3 weeks ago I wore them out. The past 2 weeks maybe 5-10 all weekend. I have an underwater camera, dropped it in and bam. 20+ in every slip. Well I found my jig with the camera and watched it. They came up and turned away, every single time. Well I changed jigs changed line, changed my hook size, used spray, used feather jigs, even went to minnows. They'd follow it up and turn away!! I can not get a reaction. Confusing. Guntersville had a very big shad spawn and I don't know if they are just stuffed or I'm not throwing the right lure. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Loosing my mind over this. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an answer for you, but congratulations on your first post. Don't wait so long for the next one.

Post Thanks / Like

You got to see first hand what all fishermen experience from time to time. The fish just were not active for whatever reason, be it barometric pressure, frontal systems, hurt feelings! Throw whatever you want at them, they just ain't bitin. Fish dont eat constantly and chances are if you had moved to a different area/depth, you could have found some fish that were active and feeding. Not too long ago, I tried a spot that produced well the day before. I was fishing deep brush on the bottom. This day i could see them on my ff but they wouldnt bite for anything. I moved to shallow water and the bite was on. You just have to move til you find the hungry ones. JMHO

C.J.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

to CDC, and congrats on your first post. Now that you have broken the ice come join in more often and share your fishing experiences and we always love to see pictures of your catch.
    I seen a lot of this while ice fishing when you could see the fish come up to your offering and just sit and look at it, as tho they was studying your bait. As you said they might have had a free lunch not long ago and aren't really hungry but are still interested to see what oppurtunity has presented itself to them. Usually if you can get them to bite that may turn them on and start a feeding frenzy. I think we all have caught fish that was so full of bait that they was spitting the bait out so they had room for more. As CMJ said they don't feed all the time so just move on and find an active school. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have done sometimes is went to a smaller bait or jig and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I have at times caught them on a keystone minnow when they wont hit anything else and the funny thing is when they are hitting other baits I usually do not catch them on a keystone much. Kind of weird I guess. This has been closer to the spawning times though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for tha tips you guys. It's just mind blowing how they act. I can't get over it.
    Tha pier has around 50 slips, about 20 are full of crappie. Bait fish at 2 depths. On the top and about 5 to 6 ft.
    There's a bunch of bait!! The only thing I have yet to try is fish at night. I did notice with the camera, they move out the piers right at dawn. Also the weather has been real crazy. This past weekend it was in the 70's!!!! Dunno if the weather is doing it to them. They also pulled about 3-4ft of water. I'm kinda new to crappie. I know bass but don't get these crappies!!
    Last edited by bassman0123; 01-15-2013 at 06:45 PM.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the barometric pressure? You also mentioned falling water. These can hamper the bite .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

The pressure is 30.06.Think it's leveled out right now. We just had a coldfront come through. Not sure if it's dropping or raising. Oh yea,,,, they pulled a lot of water. The crazy thing is there are 4 docks. 40 slips on two of the piers and 60+ on the other 2. I have fished just about every slip but the only place I find them is on the first dock.(loaded) just won't bite. Been like this for 2 weeks. I can only get out there on the weekends so my time is limited.

Post Thanks / Like

You might could try the Berkeley crappie nibbles as an attractant. I have had good success with the yellow and the chartreuse. They also make these with tiny flakes of glitter embedded in them. The idea is, they melt, the glitter falls off and looks like scales from wounded baitfish, producing a feeding frenzy. Pier and dock related fish can get extremely finicky, like someone else said I would also down size my jig. Hope this helps, let us know.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's something I haven't tried. I'll pick some up. Thanks. I just can't get over the fact that I'm watching them (live) come check my bait and turn. Amazed at how detailed or picky these fish are. Love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast