Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Get Into the Game

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Me Get Into the Game

I have crappie fished with a cane pole, float and minnows years ago. No after retirement, I want to do it right. I want to do some trolling (spider rig) but also want to tightliine some structure. Would like a pole and reel to do both. I will start out with 4 rods and reels. I think I want the Crappie Maxx 12' graphite poles and have looked at the ML and MH actions. I sort of want a pole with good backbone and I worry that the ML might be too soft but I worry that the MH might be too harsh for the paper mouths. So what would you do pole wise. Got a big gift card to BPS so buying there would be a help but not mandatory. As far as reels are concerned, I think I want a baitcaster and think I want one with a clicker. I assume you turn the pole over to mount the baitcaster and keep the guides up?? Would like to keep reel cost at a max of $50 each. Again what should I do. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks fellows. What a wonderful site you have.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what your budget is for poles, but if you're looking for cheaper, fiberglass rods I would look into HT Panfish Specials or Pinnacle Limit Rods. Both seem to fit the bill for what you're wanting to do and both are very durable rods. A set of 4 will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 from Grizzly Jig.

If you are planning to fish with rod in hand I would suggest spending the money on nicer graphite rods (or atleast one). For this I would recommend Sam Heaton Super Sensitives. I believe these are available through BPS and to me they are a great multi purpose rod. You could spiderrig with one or use it to single pole with.

As far as reels I don't have much knowledge of the baitcasters folks use on their crappie rods. I would think some of the crappie maxx ones would be sufficient:

Bass Pro Shops® Crappie Maxx Mighty Lite Low-Profile Baitcast Reel | Bass Pro Shops

I've always wondered about these and wished I had the budget to buy a set of 4 for my tightline poles.

They've got some other nice reels on clearance though:

Bass Pro Shops® Extreme® Baitcast Reels | Bass Pro Shops

Bass Pro Shops® Bionic Plus Low-Profile Baitcast Reels | Bass Pro Shops
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help Me Get Into the Game

I would use four fourteen ft. Poles for spiderriggin with baitcasters and a eleven ft.rod to jig fish with a small spinning reel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

To do double duty and not buy a bunch of specialized rods, I think 12' would do very well. Baitcasters are good but I use spinners on all of mine, extra spools for the reels can be set up with heavier line for trolling if you choose. I vertical jig with 8' rods in stained water, clear would dictate longer rods. Reels are basically line holders for this type of fishing, with a good drag being most important. I use Diawa sweepfire reels that I gave $12 for and they serve me well. Grizzly Jig is a good outfit to deal with, and all but 2 of my long rods are BnM. Replacement tips are available for these should you ever break one. Welcome to the addiction.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

you can buy very good thumb bar bait casters from grizzly for like 25 bucks each. they work great. they also have bout every kinda rod you can think of. a one stop crappie shoppin place. all good folks. i try to talk to josh when i call.
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info. In combining your ideas, it seems I might need 4 poles about 12'-14' long for spider rigging with cheaper baitcasting reels. And perhaps two shorter poles about 10'-11" (Sam Heaton super sensitives) with spinning reels (Shimano Siena 2500) for both my wife and I to use when vertical fishing. Questions: 1. Do the spider rig rods need to be the more expensive graphite as they are in a rod holder and sensitivity may not be so important? And 2, are the cheaper baitcasting reels reliable enough from grizzly jig? I would think the clicking feature of a unmaned pole would be important as you don't have contact with the pole. Right?

Post Thanks / Like

to CDC Big Wally from Ne. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Wally View Post
    Thanks for the great info. In combining your ideas, it seems I might need 4 poles about 12'-14' long for spider rigging with cheaper baitcasting reels. And perhaps two shorter poles about 10'-11" (Sam Heaton super sensitives) with spinning reels (Shimano Siena 2500) for both my wife and I to use when vertical fishing. Questions: 1. Do the spider rig rods need to be the more expensive graphite as they are in a rod holder and sensitivity may not be so important? And 2, are the cheaper baitcasting reels reliable enough from grizzly jig? I would think the clicking feature of a unmaned pole would be important as you don't have contact with the pole. Right?
    To me the clicker is off no use. I would just go with a regular low end baitcaster. Like someone said, it is basically just a line holder. B&M Pros Staff Trolling Rods in 12' or 14' would be a good choice for spider rigging. I would think the Sam Heaton rods would be a good choice when vertical fishing as well.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Me Get Into the Game

The longer 14' poles are easier to spider rig with, you can spread them out while fishing deep and its also easier to keep them out of your trolling motor when fishing shallow. I prefer the B&M pst. The issue of single poleing is much more complicated but most people fishing southern waters prefer an 11' pole that is super sensitive, light, but strong. B&M, and Sam Heaton have very popular models, just make sure it has some backbone and is sensitive and light weight.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the nicer graphite poles are a necessity for putting them in the holder. Sensitity in the rod tip (not the feel) is where you catch your fish with these.
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast