Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Outboard motor selection advice....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Outboard motor selection advice....

Hey everyone,

Now that you guys have helped me settle on a tm maybe you could give me a little help on an outboard ........I have a weldbilt dropdeck 15'x48" boat on order with a short transom. I am needing to get an outboard for it. The majority of use will be small WMA lakes(100-200 acres) where it is idle speed only or a 9.9hp restriction. You can still launch larger motors they just cannot be cranked. There is also a few times a year I will go to some larger lakes but that will only be on calm days. I have been trying to locate a used 9.9 or 15hp motor but everything on the market right now is either almost as much as brand new motor or it is so old that I wouldn't want to trust it to get me back to the dock. I have been told that since the 2 strokes have gone away for the most part that used 2 strokes are getting a little harder to locate. So now my main question is should I just bite the bullet and purchase a new 9.9 or 15hp 2 stroke or even a 4 stroke and be done with it or what? Also if I buy new should I look into a 4 stroke? I had a 4 stroke 50hp on my last boat(weldbilt 17x54 with a 50hp yammie 4st) but it weighed a ton and the boat sat very low in the rear while in the water. I am aware that the smaller 4 strokes are not that much heavier than the 2 strokes but I didn't know what everyone's opinion is of them at this time? I did like how quiet and fuel efficient the 4 stroke was......the power was more than adequate.....I just didn't care for the weight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend you look at the Nissan 9.8 Four Stroke - it is a fabulous motor. Cabela's has them for $1,749.00 with no tax and free shipping - and even better, they offer a six pay with no interest with a credit card (VISA, Discover or MasterCard only). Four stroke motors are quiet, fuel efficiency, don't stink to high heaven, etc. Obviously, you aren't going to "fly" with a 9.8 on a jon boat - but you will move along quite nicely if properly loaded and balanced.

FYI - Current market price on a one or two year old 9.8/9.9 two stroke is $1,200 to $1,300 - IMO not much savings considering you are getting a lesser technology, less warranty and who knows about the care exercised during break-in and daily use.

Post Thanks / Like

you won't find a new 2 stroke in the hp that you want,look online ate the different brands,all the low hp motors are 4 stroke,due to the 2006 epa laws,you could find a good used 2 stroke if you look long enough,but if it was me,i would go with a new 4 stroke,even if i had to save a little more money.the motor is the last thing i want to have to worry about out on a nite stalk...just my $.02.......

crome

Post Thanks / Like

its all about how much money you want to spend i found a 15hp yamaha on ebay for $750. put 9.9 decals on her so far so good dont get me wrong ill love to have a new one
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crome
    you won't find a new 2 stroke in the hp that you want,look online ate the different brands,all the low hp motors are 4 stroke,due to the 2006 epa laws,you could find a good used 2 stroke if you look long enough,but if it was me,i would go with a new 4 stroke,even if i had to save a little more money.the motor is the last thing i want to have to worry about out on a nite stalk...just my $.02.......

crome

actually yamaha still offers a new 2 stroke 9.9 and so does nissan from what I've been told. I probably should go on ahead and purchase new. I didn't think about the six pay deal with cabelas but that would probably be a pretty good way to get one. I'm probably a couple months away from buying the motor because I have to receive the hull and get it all wired/outfitted so it won't be until this fall that Ill be ready to use the boat. thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Food for thought ... my 50HP EFI Four Stroke is quieter, cleaner and better smelling than my 9.8HP Carbureted Two Stroke. There is that big of a difference!

You are correct about Yamaha - their 2-stroke outboards have been 100:1 ratio for a long time and therefore meet the 2006 EPA regulations. Nissan motors do not, it is possible you might find leftover stock, but doubtful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by painterfish
    its all about how much money you want to spend i found a 15hp yamaha on ebay for $750. put 9.9 decals on her so far so good dont get me wrong ill love to have a new one
    Don't understand why you would put 9.9 decals on a 15hp motor. What would be the reason for doing this?
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

eager beaver theres a restriction on most city lakes in my area of motors with 9.9 or less are allowed on the lake keeps the lake warden happy
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked at any Tohatsu's? They are made by the same folks that make the Nissans. Tuffest most dependable little motor I've ever used. A lot of the commercial fishermen around here use them.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Nissan and Tohatsu are exactly the same motor - only the decal is different, Nissan is a subsidiary of Tohatsu. You are absolutely correct, they are fabulous little motors - that is why I recommended one. They are possibly the #1 marine outboard in the world! Here's a little secret most people don't know - Tohatsu also makes Mercury outboards from 2HP to 30HP.

Now you know the rest of the story ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast