Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fish type help on side imaging?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish type help on side imaging?

Hi guys I have a 1198 and need to distance on side scan to see crappie? I also would like to know how to distinguish between all fish? Nitro12

Post Thanks / Like

The only sure way to tell what kind of fish it is is to catch some. Sometimes you can sort of identify crappie by their schools, but it's not foolproof.

There is a post by DoubleGobble00 in the FAQ thread at the top of the page with some tips on identifying fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot I just haven't seen anything like what I see on all the pictures. I see lots of fish but fill like there to big for crappie. I run side scan on 70 to 75 would I be able to see crappie at the distance pretty easy?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Like CatFan said...the only sure way is to catch some....

Sometimes how a school of fish is relating to structure can give a good indication of possible fish type....

This shot shows a school of smaller individual target echoes in a tight wad...could be crappie, largemouth, yellow or white bass...could even be smaller catfish...

I didn't catch any of these so identification is just guessing because the school is not relating to any type of structure at all...

I generally run my SI Range at 60-70...but this image I shot at 30 because the mud bottom was absorbing so much or the sonar I couldn't see much out past that anyway...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot guys I actually saw a school of fish the other day running 65 to each side and caught tons of them. It seems like anything that makes a shadow on 65 on each side is around 10 to 12 inches in size. Have y'all noticed about the same?