Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: rod selection

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod selection

Im gonna upgrade my spidder rigging poles. I have used mixed match poles that i had but i want to upgrade to the same poles. Im thinking about the bgjp in 12ft or 14ft. Ive been using mainly 12ft poles on truman but was wondering what you guys input would be that have been using 14ft poles. Is it an advantage to go to the 14ft poles or a hassle

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends a lot on where you fish. I am going to 14' rods this year because I want to start fishing LOZ and hope to make it to Sippi also. 12' is all I have ever needed for Truman and I fish pretty shallow at times. 3'-5' of water. The 12' is much easier to handle. I may buy some cheaper 12' rods for when the kids are with me.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default rod selection

12 foot rods will work fine 90% of the time. The other 10%, the longer poles have an advantage in clear and/or shallow water. The extra 2-4 feet could mean the difference in the boat spooking fish or catching fish.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

We've used anywhere from 10's to 16's on MTL, all with success. With that said, Twain is always atleast dingy, so we don't run into a lot of boat spookin' (atleast we don't think so) that Speck mentioned, but it's something to be aware of.

I am actually getting ready to buy a new set of rods/reels (12' ft. B'nM's) specially designated for my rigging set....so I guess I would prefer 12's.

Depending on how many rods we are running, I like putting a 14' off of each side (further rod holder out) and run it deeper, trying to get out to the creek channel drop.

U

Post Thanks / Like

It's just like anytime you upgrade to a longer pole there will be some growing pains and the extra length causes a few problems but it will soon grow on you and it becomes second nature,12' poles are good all around poles but that extra 2' comes in handy in shallow/clear situations as was mentioned above so if i were to upgrade i think i'd go with the 14' because the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Slab stacker - I'm like you. I have a mix of different lengths and different brands. I am going to go all 14' this year probably in the Capps and Coleman or the Ozarks. Have tried a 16' but didn't like it. I think it would help if all you rods were the same so that it is easier to tell what going on with them and all your tips would be easier to see at a glance. I'll keep my culls for anyone who fishes with me that doesn't spider rig.