Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP.............what am i seeing???????

Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP.............what am i seeing???????

these are from a HB798 ci hd mounted on the trollin motor w/ big motor running 3-5 mph. any tips or tricks will be very helpful. we're new to the si/di. thx, rick

Post Thanks / Like

nhello rickswanson, i think that i t would be helpful i f you would post the settings your using and tell were and how your transducer is mounted. i see i lot of rf noise in your pictures, but theres more going on. your unit is capable of a lot better quality picture

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    nhello rickswanson, i think that i t would be helpful i f you would post the settings your using and tell were and how your transducer is mounted. i see i lot of rf noise in your pictures, but theres more going on. your unit is capable of a lot better quality picture
    kosmo, I agree. Wonder what setting the chart speed was on.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

xducer is mounted on bottom of TM. TM is a minnkota 40lb. all terrain foot controlled. the 798 is powered off the big motor battery. the trolling motor was pointed straight in front of the boat, but not running at the time these pics were taken. noise filter was set on low, chart speed was set on 5. i really cant remember what the enhancers were set on. what would be a good starting setting??? where do you guys see rf interference?? so i'll know what im looking for. i've changed colored screens and seem like brown will be better then blue. these pics were downloaded off photobucket, if thats any help. again, we're trying to learn this thing. would it help, if i ran it in sim mode and took pics to compare with these, or would that be a waste of time?????? thx again i really appriecate the help, rick

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Kosmo is on the money! Chart speed and boat would really help!!

Post Thanks / Like

The boat has to be moving forward for si to work correctly.chart speed,boat speed needs to be about the same.My transducer is mounted on the transom.I only use si at idle...about 3-4 mph.I don't think you're gonna get very good images with it on the front in rough water.Front bobs up and down to much.

2000 ProCraft 210 SuperPro DC w/Merc 250 ProXB
    Hi-Tek rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

thats a good point about bobbing up&down. but these pics were taken in dead calm waters. the speedo on console was a hair under 5mph. the hb788 mounted on back said 4.3 mph and the hb798 on front said 3.2 mph. i'm stating to question the power cord connection. its wired to the fuse box, w/ a 10 amp fuse, and everything (livewell pump, bilge pump, all gauges, lights, both the 788 and 798) except for the TM, is conected to the big motor battery. maybe im getting rf interference when the big motor (88' 100hp mercury) is running. im using the power cord that came new w/ the 798, its thicker wires (then the 788 power cord) and has a filter or something inline with it, but then they are connected to smaller gauge wire (probly 14 gauge, about 6ft in length.) that connects to the fuse box. im sure the xducer is mounted correctly on TM, its dead level w/ bottom of motor, pointing in forward direction. and i surely dont see anything that would interfer w/ beams, when pointing straight. maybe i just need to keep tinkering w/ it. thx, rick

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

One way to track down rf interference is to turn everything off in the boat....then turn accessories and electrical items on 1 at a time to determine which item is causing the interference...

I think your images are suspect of the chart speed being too fast...

Too fast on the chart speed is basically the processor is taking each ping's echo data and stretching it down the SI image...elongating (on the screen) everthing the pings reflect off of...

Like the guys said chart speed should equal to boat speed or maybe even 1 notch lower...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 01-15-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

i've tracked down a ton of RFI!!!!! 798 power cord & TM power cord was too close together, and also xducer and TM CORD too close. i've also replaced the minn kota 12 volt 40lb. all terrain, with a 65lb. 24 volt minn kota maxum. the speed contol switches were different so the 65 has got alot more RFI. i moved the power cords and xducer cords, and lost a great amount of RFI. i picked up 2 chokes from radio shack that i will install on the 798 power cord. they're too small for the TM power cord. but what a difference in just moving the power cords farther apart. it went from a 3 sensitivity w/RFI, to a 12 sensitivity on si W/ RFI. i can live w/ that, but hopefully better w/ chokes installed, twisting power cords wires, running grounds to batterys, and maybe running a ground wire from 798 power cord to clamp on xducer. i'm learning about RFI now. oh yea, i gotta slow the chart speed down.thx, rick

Post Thanks / Like

i forgot to mention. we got the 798ci hd si "new" about a month ago, and its has version 6.25 in it. is this the latest update????? will getting it updated make for better quality pics??? i seen another post about a new version. i'll check it out and post over there also. thx again, rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast