Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tournament culling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tournament culling

I guess what I would like to know is, What are the rules when it comes to tournament fishing? I have seen what it says about a black bass tournament but not anything about a crappie tournament or others.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie.......its whats for dinner!!

Post Thanks / Like

The tournament culling rule only applies to bass:

(E) During the months of September through June, black bass released unharmed by participants in a bona fide catch-and-release
    fishing tournament, which requires entrants to have a boat livewell with adequate capacity and a pump constantly adding fresh
    or recirculating water, shall not be included in the daily limit, however, at no time may the daily limit be exceeded.

Post Thanks / Like

there is no rule i know of on crappie, it is not legal to cull crappie anytime, you catch it you release it unharmed imedately or in the live well it goes. one of these days some people are gonna get caught culling. I don't like releasing fish caught in a tournament, I think the stress of the day, the weigh in, the release will kill a bunch of fish. should set up a cleaning station and clean your catch and if you don't want it donate it to someone/or thing/like church,nursing home,what ever.... go to bed now michael your getting wound up...............................

Post Thanks / Like

Have been to tournaments where all unwanted fish were donated to have a fish fry for the local nursing home.Been alot of years ago and seen alot of dead fish released back for turtle bait,seems such a waste.Lake Dardanelle in Ark has the best setup to keep fish alive that I've seen.The thought is good about releasing them but the effort to keep them alive is not so good.But everyone has their own opinion,this is mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Not aware of any release mortality studies done with crappie. Bass and walleye yes but not crappie. One thing is a safe bet, if it's fileted it won't survive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kazualobzerver View Post
    Not aware of any release mortality studies done with crappie. Bass and walleye yes but not crappie. One thing is a safe bet, if it's fileted it won't survive.
    Maybe not but they sure do float alot of them the day after a Crappie Master Tour. Pual and the guys do a bang up job to keep the fish alive but there is still alot of dead ones floating the next day. They should just let people keep them or donate them to a good cuase.JMO
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

Does CM alow you to bring in 15 fish the limit then cull your biggest seven or ten and take to the scales?????? If so you and a partner could have 30 fish to choose from.
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

If the limit is 7 just make sure that is all you take to the scales, I think at most tournaments you would be disqualified.......I think you can have your 15 in the boat but not at the scales and I would'nt go up there and pick them out at the scales.....
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

During the CM nationals you could only have 8 fish in your boat. Then when coming to weigh in they would count your fish, check your livewell's and take the extra fish.Then you could procede to the parking lot and enter the weigh in line. This years national champions made the error of miscounting and took 8 fish to the weigh in scales at Mark Twain. They were DQ'ed and it cost them the points they could have earned towards the MO state championship. Which may have been won by them since they had a win at LOZ and a good finish at Truman. Count them twice and then count them two more times. Its easy to get in a hurry and miscount.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast