Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: When to use each type of jig?

Post Thanks / Like

Default When to use each type of jig?

Do you use different jig types for specific times? I am talking about types like baby shad, triple tail, joker, swimming shad, Slab Dockt'R, tube, etc.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use umbrella tubes made by Southern pro about 95 % of the time. i use tied jigs by MEATGETTER when I need them to sink faster ''deep water''.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

These are opinions and not written in stone. Yet. Cold water usually calls for smaller, slower presentations. Hand ties work well and sink a bit quicker due to lack of mass as nimrod has already said. Sometimes lighter jigs also work better but I tend to stay with1/8 cus I'm too impatient. Have gone down to 1/64 on a calm day when they just wouldn't hit the heavies. Natural colors usually work better imitating baitfish, but also remember that bluegill are on the menu this time of year so put some brown or tan in the box. If they are real slow, tipping with a minnow can turn the tables. Clear cold water does better with clear, light line.
    As the water approaches 60* the fish get more active and not as picky and curl tails work better. Float and jig is a ball about now too. I use em fixed cuz they like to hit on the drop and slip floats don't let me know if you aren't staring at the float. Longer rods and 6 or 8lb line does well for this, sometimes they are 7 or 8 feet down and it's hard to cast one of those with a 5' rod, but it can be done. I usually go to bright colors too.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Fish with what you have confidence in hair jigs are better imo in the winter time and soft plastics are better in the summer and some of the jigs you listed are great for long lining to me there is a pattern for everyday of crappie fishing you just got to figure that pattern out they may want a jig one day in a 1/64th hair jig and the next in a 1/8th soft plastic jig
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

Post Thanks / Like

1/32-1/24 in calm winds, 1/16 for windy or hot sunny days, pintail minnow (homemade like BGBS) most all the time, mostly pearl white, craftfur or kiptail jigs in the winter works well for me once again white with a green chenile wrap, and 1.75" twitch minnow when they are in a negitive mood.
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default When to use each type of jig?

Hand tied, smaller jigs for specs, bigger minnow style plastics for whites, namely LakeForks.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys,I fish mostly Dardanelle lake on Arkansas River and Nimrod Lake on Fouche la Fave River' These are both full of Shad and Crappie feed heavily on these and in winter they tend to be bigger. I never feel the need to down size here.

Check out this post , I was in a boat on Dardanelle next to them last month when Xring picked up this Crappie with a 4'' Bream stuck in it's throat! That shows you Crappie will eat anything that will fit their mouth.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/arkan...unt-today.html
    Last edited by NIMROD; 01-14-2013 at 09:13 AM.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs