Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Could Someone Please...

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Could Someone Please...

Can someone please post a couple pictures so I can see the difference between white perch and white bass and small hybrids (hand sized)? I'm not sure what a few of the fish I've caught are. I thought I know what a white bass was but then again, maybe not. There's one fish that we catch a few of that when you grab around them to remove the hook they blow their gills way out. I know these arent hybrids but they resemble 'em. Dont even have a clue about white perch either. Help! Now I'm really confused!!! :D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the fish that blows up is a white perch. They act real mean when you grab a hold of them.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you recognize a "tooth patch"?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default White Perch

They are spiny devils. Fins & gill plate. I use and old towel to hold them. Save a lot of pin holes in your hand. Catch a lot of them,they suspend with the Crappie here.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've caught a lot of white perch but never seen one blow up. Here is a couple of pics. http://www.chesapeakebay.net/white_perch.htm http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=38
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Could also be a yellow bass. They look like bluegill sized hybrids but are more yellow on their bellies.
    Scott

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Gabowman ........FYI

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    Can someone please post a couple pictures so I can see the difference between white perch and white bass and small hybrids (hand sized)? I'm not sure what a few of the fish I've caught are. I thought I know what a white bass was but then again, maybe not. There's one fish that we catch a few of that when you grab around them to remove the hook they blow their gills way out. I know these arent hybrids but they resemble 'em. Dont even have a clue about white perch either. Help! Now I'm really confused!!! :D
    White Bass: (black lines are complete)

Yellow Bass: (black lines broken - yellowish cast to body color)

White Perch: (no black lines)

Hybrid Striper: (elongated body structure - broken black stripes)

As far as recognizing a "tooth patch" (and some more identifying info on these fish) --- look here: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...diagrams.phtml
    Basically, a "tooth patch" is a rough spot on the tongue.

It's been my experience, that a Yellow Bass will flair its gills and fins when handled. The gill plates are sharp edged, and will cut you quite easily. They tend to "bite down", and are reluctant to open their mouths ... and seem to stiffen up, when flairing the gills/fins. I haven't noticed Hybrid Stipers or White Bass doing so, as much .... and I've never seen/caught a White Perch, so I can't say about them. ................. cp