Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the highest winds you'll fish in?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the highest winds you'll fish in?

Do you find that you catch more/less fish in a certain wind speed?

Do you like a calm wind? Medium (5-10)? High (10-20)

I normally don't like fishing in more than 10-12 mph wind just because of the difficulty in manuevering the boat.

Waht do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on the Lake, Stockton Lake, 10 is rough, 20 is dangerous

Table Rock I can fish safely at 25 or so, plenty of places to get out of the wind

Truman Lake 10 to 20 is fine

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Beagle, it depends on the lake. Over here on the big 4 corps lakes it can get dangerous over 15/20 if you don't have a big boat or really know what your doing on the water. No place to escape the wind. I like it to be around 4/5 prefer to have a bit of ripple on the water especially on bright days. Have caught fish in 15 but that's spider rigging with drift socks. Boat control is key and I still have a lot to learn in that respect. Guys that are good with boat control can catch fish in some pretty bad winds.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of lakes I prefer to stay off the lake if it's forecast to be over 12MPH most of the day, but will still fish. Once it hits about 17 it starts being less fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Am learning to fish in the wind, dont have much choice here. As long as the lake isnt ROLLING dont mind it up to 10-15, over 15 is tuff and if the fish aint biting I am out of there.
    Fished in some bad wind couple months ago, was already set up for a long drift back toward the ramp I had launched at when it really got bad so I left the poles out and drifted in the rest of the way. Limited out in some pretty bad conditions.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Ky Lake depends alot on direction. Out of the north or south it is rolling straight up and down the lake.
    15-20 its getting really rough in the main lake. You can fish the bays that high like I said depending on direction of the wind. We fished yesterday and the winds were ssw 15-20.
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

15 mph max if I can get to a lee side of the area I am fishing...anything over 10, I usually think real hard before I go...

Post Thanks / Like

when I use my jon boat, I didn't like to fool around with anything more than 10-15 mph, the boat really drifts a lot at that point and I spend more time on the troller than fishing. at that point I tie up to a laydown or a place out of wind. when using my 14ft Glasstream up to 15 is okay but it still tends to drift and I only have a 30lb Motorguide to maneuver with. a higher thrust motor is in the near future. anything higher and I'd rather be home.

Post Thanks / Like

as long as the trolling motor will hold me, i'm good

Post Thanks / Like

don't mind fishing in wind up to 20mph, got caught on Dale Hollow with 40mph sustained wind one time, the only time i've ever been scared to be out there ,4ft waves were too much for my 18ft stratos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast