PDA

View Full Version : What's the highest winds you'll fish in?

SweetHomeAlabama
01-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Do you find that you catch more/less fish in a certain wind speed?

Do you like a calm wind? Medium (5-10)? High (10-20)

I normally don't like fishing in more than 10-12 mph wind just because of the difficulty in manuevering the boat.

Waht do you guys think?

beagle man
01-12-2013, 03:58 PM
It really depends on the Lake, Stockton Lake, 10 is rough, 20 is dangerous

Table Rock I can fish safely at 25 or so, plenty of places to get out of the wind

Truman Lake 10 to 20 is fine

Cray
01-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Like Beagle, it depends on the lake. Over here on the big 4 corps lakes it can get dangerous over 15/20 if you don't have a big boat or really know what your doing on the water. No place to escape the wind. I like it to be around 4/5 prefer to have a bit of ripple on the water especially on bright days. Have caught fish in 15 but that's spider rigging with drift socks. Boat control is key and I still have a lot to learn in that respect. Guys that are good with boat control can catch fish in some pretty bad winds.

CatFan
01-12-2013, 04:45 PM
A lot of lakes I prefer to stay off the lake if it's forecast to be over 12MPH most of the day, but will still fish. Once it hits about 17 it starts being less fun.

Rees Guide
01-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Am learning to fish in the wind, dont have much choice here. As long as the lake isnt ROLLING dont mind it up to 10-15, over 15 is tuff and if the fish aint biting I am out of there.
Fished in some bad wind couple months ago, was already set up for a long drift back toward the ramp I had launched at when it really got bad so I left the poles out and drifted in the rest of the way. Limited out in some pretty bad conditions.

buffalo13
01-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Ky Lake depends alot on direction. Out of the north or south it is rolling straight up and down the lake.
15-20 its getting really rough in the main lake. You can fish the bays that high like I said depending on direction of the wind. We fished yesterday and the winds were ssw 15-20.

BobberStopper
01-12-2013, 05:15 PM
15 mph max if I can get to a lee side of the area I am fishing...anything over 10, I usually think real hard before I go...

mikeymercboy
01-12-2013, 05:28 PM
when I use my jon boat, I didn't like to fool around with anything more than 10-15 mph, the boat really drifts a lot at that point and I spend more time on the troller than fishing. at that point I tie up to a laydown or a place out of wind. when using my 14ft Glasstream up to 15 is okay but it still tends to drift and I only have a 30lb Motorguide to maneuver with. a higher thrust motor is in the near future. anything higher and I'd rather be home.

sls
01-12-2013, 06:01 PM
as long as the trolling motor will hold me, i'm good

probucktails
01-12-2013, 08:08 PM
don't mind fishing in wind up to 20mph, got caught on Dale Hollow with 40mph sustained wind one time, the only time i've ever been scared to be out there ,4ft waves were too much for my 18ft stratos

bayoumonster
01-12-2013, 09:17 PM
I'd fish 40mph in my super secret honey hole......
Any other location I like calm to 10mph, but will fish in 15mph if I'm catching. I hate rollers and will usually go in once they start.
JBJ

Mikie
01-13-2013, 01:41 AM
Out here in SW Oklahoma if the weatherman says 10-15 you need to add those numbers together it will be closer to the actual wind speed. There will always be wind out here,check before you go and pay attention if storms are in the area. If I troll 20 is the max in 17 ft aluminum, it's rocking and rolling but if they are biting it's OK, if no bite I'm going home to do chores I didn't do because I was fishin:fish

feeshrman
01-13-2013, 02:02 AM
That's a loaded question. It all depends on protection from the wind and also water depth

NIMROD
01-13-2013, 09:26 AM
I don't like fishing in the wind but have found with clear water , shallow, and or other conditions fishing needs a little breeze to break the water surface to be best. On Nimrod up to 5 mph wind is good, 10 mph is getting tough. Over 15 it can be whitecapping. The wind can be a friend or foe to fishermen. I have caught limits with water breaking the bow getting my feet wet! That does'nt mean I like fishing in the wind .

Rees Guide
01-13-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't like fishing in the wind but have found with clear water , shallow, and or other conditions fishing needs a little breeze to break the water surface to be best. On Nimrod up to 5 mph wind is good, 10 mph is getting tough. Over 15 it can be whitecapping. The wind can be a friend or foe to fishermen. I have caught limits with water breaking the bow getting my feet wet! That does'nt mean I like fishing in the wind .
When the wind is bad I fish with it, no feet getting wet that way.:biggrin

MeanV2
01-13-2013, 10:53 AM
I have learned a lot about wind and paying attention to forecasts, etc this year (my first year fishing out of a boat) It is all about paying attention to where the wind will be coming from and when it will change from where to launch to where to fish.

It is especially important if you have a small boat like me :)

Dan

jigdragger
01-13-2013, 11:48 AM
I was fishing at lake weis in alabama xhen tin started blowing off of boat houses.

ESBguy
01-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Precision location is the key to big ones here at Houghton Lake, so I don't really like winds over about 6. There are times, however, when rollers breaking on shallow structure will stack fish like nothing else. If you can hold your boat, and stand the feeling that your kidneys are about to fall out, you can have some fantastic fishing.

NIMROD
01-13-2013, 01:25 PM
When the wind is bad I fish with it, no feet getting wet that way.:biggrin

But I verticle jig brushpiles and stakebeds , no spiderrigs for me. Besides ever try to hold against the wind backwards?:juggle

olesilverside
01-13-2013, 02:34 PM
for me here on Truman it is mostly the direction that I watch, north or strong east winds I tend to lay out, if calling for more than 15 mph, I don't spider and have hooked to many a tree to vertical jig them and seem to do okay but prefer not to hook up, the 82 # vari holds my 17' er well enough... we have stuff in enough areas we can fish no matter which way the wind is blowing, but like the south wind the best.....wish I was on the water now...... but it is slick and hard......

Rees Guide
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
But I verticle jig brushpiles and stakebeds , no spiderrigs for me. Besides ever try to hold against the wind backwards?:juggle
Actually I did the other day, dragging 2 chains and Ipilot set on 2 and turned staight to the back of the boat. Worked too, just moved my very front poles more to the sides to get them out of the pop wash. Made 2 drifts that way and finished a limit and went to the house, got me some extensions for the chains and if its too much for the chains I have now its time to go.

Eager Beaver
01-13-2013, 02:51 PM
I like a 5-10 mph wind out of the South on my lake. I will fish until it gets over 25. On Big Stone Lake in South Dakota I go out pretty much whatever it is. I have been out in 5ft waves and did very well. EB

SLAB_FINDER
01-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Depends on if I have any honey-do's I could knock out and fish on a better day!!! I'm a big fan of not trying to fight it but instead tie off or drop anchor and fish the surrounding a bit and move on to the next spot and repeat.

eagle 1
01-13-2013, 02:59 PM
WHEN IT STARTS TO ROLL , I START REELING UP !nonono

dandeman
01-14-2013, 08:49 AM
It gets hard to control my 16' aluminum boat with winds of 15mph, so I'll fish until I get tired of fighting it.