Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of board to use on boat trailer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What type of board to use on boat trailer?

Well, it is time for me to replace the boards on my boat. What wood do you use and treated or not? I read some things online that said not to use treated wood for aluminum boats. Is there any type/brand of carpet that holds up the best?
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

I used treated wood and I have an aluminum boat. From what I understand it does not matter if you cover the wood with carpet or something else and the treated wood does not touch the aluminum. I redid mine last year and used treated wood and had a buddy that gave me some old fire hose to cover it with. That stuff is tuff as nails and will never wear out.

T

Post Thanks / Like

I went the safe way and used cypress. Not treated and still should last a very long time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taygolf View Post
    I used treated wood and I have an aluminum boat. From what I understand it does not matter if you cover the wood with carpet or something else and the treated wood does not touch the aluminum. I redid mine last year and used treated wood and had a buddy that gave me some old fire hose to cover it with. That stuff is tuff as nails and will never wear out.

T
    --
    I got into this last year, needed a new floor on the pontoon and found out that aluminum and the new recipe for treated wood is not compatible, what I ended up doing was putting a barrier between the wood and the aluminum as you did then foundout that just any old outdoor carpet glue wouldn't stick to the treated wood requiring me to search out just a certain type of that also... I finally got the job done but it was a nightmare from front to back... This year I need to replace the bunks on my 17' tracker but I'm going to use untreated 2x4's as there is always a danger of having a place where the carpet gets torn or something and me not knowing it, If the bunks are really easy to replace I would stay away from treated wood on an aluminum boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I used treated 2x4s on my Tracker trailer. I covered them with outdoor carpet and then put trailer slicks over the carpet. Makes it easier to load and unload and adds an extra layer of protection.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Www. Ultimatebunkboards. Com

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=TxBigRed;2155105]Www. Ultimatebunkboards.

I put a set on 2 yrs. ago and dont see a problem. Might not be as cheap as 2x4s but then again , Money is no object, its just a tool

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

The chemicals in pressure treated lumber will at some point seep through any fabric material you use. In time you will get pinholes and later full out corrosion from the dissimilar metals reacting. That stuff they use is some bad stuff. I used pressure treated lumber but put it inside 4" solid core pvc pipe. just cant un hook until over water as it WILL slide off without much pressure at all. Regular pine will rot in no time. use Cypress or pt with some kind of solid seperation either pvc, starboard or even cutting boards cut down and fastened. Otherwise them Ultimate bunks are your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a product called "bunkcaps". I only saw them ,I have no knowledge of how well they work. Claim 10 year warranty. They are a little expensive. You can do your own homework. Not sure how slippery they are. You may want to look int them.Good luck!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use bunk slicks from BPS on treated 2 X's with no carpet
    i dont have any problems

the bunk sliks are 3' wide so they cover almost the whols surface of the wood

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast