Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: marker bouys

Post Thanks / Like

Default marker bouys

Just wondering what everyone likes for marker bouys, the dumbell or the H shape types or it you can make your own out of pvc pipe or is there any other kinds. Thanks
    Lets go soak a line. Pat

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

DON'T MATTER AS LONG AS YOU PUT IT 25 FT. OR SO FROM YOUR TOP . THEN EASE OVER TO IT WHEN NO ONE IS ARROUND . TO MANY CRAPPIE FISHERMEN HAVE BIONOCULARS/GPS AS THEIR TWO MOST PRIZED FISHING TOOLS .

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the H shaped ones, and some old Lindy "bow tie" shaped ones. I tend to use the bow tie ones, as they take up less floor space. Yeah, I know about the barbell shaped ones & their holders ... I just rarely used more than one at a time, so I never went that route. Even now, with probably 5 or 6 buoys in the boat, I rarely have more than 1 or 2 on deck.

These are the ones I'm talking about using most often :

I doubt they're even mfg'd, anymore ... but they could probably be reproduced fairly easily, using some closed cell foam. (these were made with high impact polyurethane & rot proof nylon cord ... and mine are at least 30 years old & still functional)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eagle 1 View Post
    DON'T MATTER AS LONG AS YOU PUT IT 25 FT. OR SO FROM YOUR TOP . THEN EASE OVER TO IT WHEN NO ONE IS ARROUND . TO MANY CRAPPIE FISHERMEN HAVE BIONOCULARS/GPS AS THEIR TWO MOST PRIZED FISHING TOOLS .
    Wise Man! I don't mind sharing a good spot with Good people but not with those that will be sneaky and "steal" them, thus I have lowered myself to painting my buoys, 1 coat of Spray Primer and a couple coats of Black, or Brown or Dark Green, since I will be no further than a few feet I can see em easy, but it doesn't tempt the thieves from far away.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the H shape, especially in the wind, it helps to keep them from unraveling and drifting.

Post Thanks / Like

I make mine out of oak and in the H shape, and stain them a dark walnut, then coat with clear coat, don't want no bright marker sticking out as way to many boats come by my area's..... usually don't even use them just keep my boat close and with my dsi I can stay right on the edge or back off a bit and use land mark to keep me close......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olesilverside View Post
    I make mine out of oak and in the H shape, and stain them a dark walnut, then coat with clear coat, don't want no bright marker sticking out as way to many boats come by my area's..... usually don't even use them just keep my boat close and with my dsi I can stay right on the edge or back off a bit and use land mark to keep me close......
    --
    I have a couple of the dumbell type and am not very fond of them... I seldom use them as I also use the system you describe unless the wind keeps the boat turned in a direction where seeing the shore landmarks is harder to do... Am getting an I-pilot this coming spring and am hoping the need for them will go away completely, crossing fingers hoping the spot lock feature will do as it is advertised to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I have heard of the dumbell type unravling away from the spot in higher winds. Thought about just making some with very little cost in the h-shape. Just wondered what people prefered.
    Lets go soak a line. Pat

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the "H" bouys. I always remove the factory twisted nylon, paint them black, wrap 50-70' of braided nylon, and add an 6-8 oz sinker along with the flat lead strap that comes on them. The extra weight gets down quick and will pull a crossed up line wrap out easily.
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

I use the h shape and change weight from the flat weight to a 5 ounce pyramid,then put a bead on it to stop it after it winds up on my auto winder
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast