Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat size?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat size?

Is bigger always better? How big is too big?

I have a small 14' boat, only 4' wide with a 10hp, built for two. Looking to go bigger and right now thinking 16', however since this one will last me a couple decades, how big is big enough? 18'? 20'??

Beside my kids and future grandkids, most the lakes I fish are less than 1,000 acres. Once a year or so I'll get on bigger water.
    Also most the lakes I fish have horsepower restrictions of 25hp, and some are 10hp. So I don't want a 20' with a 200hp motor that I will never use, or a 18' with an motor not big enough to get on plane. Hence the 16' thinking.

Thoughts?
    How big is too big? Ever regret getting that big boat and wishing you ahd kept the smaller one?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16 with a 25 and love it. It is small enough for the 25 to push VERY well but big enough to be stable and safe on some bigger water. It is a 2005 Grizzly 1648 with a 2005 4 stroke yamaha 25. Just love it.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-11-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the boat, that's what Im thinking. Big enough to get 3, 4, 5 in the boat, and yet fit on my lakes. However, will I wish I had gone bigger?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You live in yankeeville, a 16 or 17 foot deep v aught to suit your needs and be safe on bigger water too. More stable too with more folks in em. If you fished big water all the time I would say a glass 20 footer with a big motor but dont look tht is needed here. Good luck
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's all in personal preference and the intended use you want from the boat. I've owned several different sizes ranging from 14'-18'6". I currently fish out of the 18-6 and am very pleased with it. It's not too big but has plenty of room to take the fam out and be comfortable all day. I tend to fish a lake smaller than 1000acres so I really don't get any benefit other than comfort on the smaller lakes but its nice to get on the big water and have fun from time to time as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1648 that will fish three, a little cramped, but works for me and I take it anywhere. Sounds like what you have works for you, no need to change. The best thing about my rig, which makes it better than any new boat out there......its paid for.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Locator 79 a 16 x 48 is big enough for 3 but a little cramped. It is about as big as I would want to go limiting horsepower to 25. There are lots of good rigs out there this time of year and good buys. Trade up to a 16 x 48 and see how you like it. I have a Lowe 16 x48 with a 35 Johnson and one of the things I like about it is I bought it this time of year and bought it cheap and like Locator 79 it is paid for. Start looking you may be able to upgrade now and then sell yours in the spring and not be out anything. Flintcreek

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a Carolina Skiff J16, that we fished 3 out of regularly in the tailrace of dams for striper. It was a bit tight but we managed and with a 25hp 2stroke it would gps 27mph with me and my gear. You can set them up anyway you want to, I had a large front deck a short rear deck and a 120qt cooler mounted in the center with a seat on it for fish and a trolling motor up front. The boat had a real shallow draft with motor up I could float it in ankle deep water. I really enjoyed the boat but have moved up in size to a 18' skiff with an 8' beam and 90hp and am real happy as I still have shallow draft but a lot more boat as it is rated for 13 people.
    P.S. All my fishing buddies and I range from 6' to 6'-2" and 230-260lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish from a War Eagle 1548 with a 25 Tohatsu. Good all around boat for crappie fishing in the trees and brush and cat-fishing the river even behind the Arkansas dams. Stable enough to stand up and move around in. Usually just me and the wife fishing from it. More than 3 and it gets close. And as they say it's a lot better when it's paid for.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-11-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2019 Yamaha 90

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 1652 alweld boat and it a tuff boat. i like to get me a newer boat about 18 to 20'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast