Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trolling motor question

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling motor question

I have a weldbilt flatbottom 15' x 48" bottom with a drop deck on order and am needing to order a trolling motor for it. Minn kota has a bow mount tm called the edge and it is available in a 55lb thrust 12v. system with a 52" shaft. Then they have another line called the maxxim that is also available in a 55lb thrust. I know that I am going a little overboard in thrust but I'ld rather have it and not need than need it and not have it. My main question is would you spend the extra money to go from the edge to the maxxim? I think it is probably an extra $100-150 or so. It does have a couple of extra features and supposedly a little more efficient motor on it but I didn't know anyone here had any insight on helping me select one. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a neew bot too and was going with the 55 Lb but a few guys talked me into going with the 70 and a 24 volt system. Said its more efficient. I had really good luck with the Tracker (made by Motorguide) brand which are quite a bit cheeper. It was a 40 lb. I'll just have to see how it goes. I order the boat with the edge.

Post Thanks / Like

if you are going to use you trolling motor alot i would go ahead and get the maxxim,i have a 1860 cc g3,and have the 55lb thrust and it pulls it real good

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds crazy, I just bought a motorguide digital 82 lb saltwater trolling motor on ebay. It was new in box. BPS price about $950, I paid $600 plus $60 on shipping. I was about to spend that much on the cheaper 71 lb motor. If your not in a rush you could find a good motor and stay on budget.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Another good place to check is Cabela's bargain cave. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...Cat=home071206
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The Maxxim is what I have and made them order it to replace what came on my boat. I wanted a variable speed because it's so much more versatile and worth the extra IMHO!

They will never put a 5 speed troll motor on my boat again.

The Maxxim Pro has one extra that makes it easier to put up and down, but I have no experience with that yet.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a maxxum40t - this variable speed is the best way to go.
    Everyone ought to believe in something.
    I believe I'll go fishing!
    :D

I fish because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion. :)

John Volker retired Michigan Supreme Court justice.

Post Thanks / Like

The Maxxum is by far the better choice. The Maxxum is not only better on your batteries, but it also comes with a 3 year warranty insted of a 2 year.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! the boat dealer is loving this! I just upgraded to the maxima 70! Man if this boat doesn't get here soon I won't have enough money to get it on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

You are gonna be really haoppy with that troll motor.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast